Cyberattacks against accounting software firm Wolters Kluwer and the City of Baltimore in May showed how the newest wave of malicious hacking can have significant, often...Technologyread more
The European parliamentary election is the second largest democratic exercise in the world.Europe Newsread more
Buybacks have gotten a bad rap from both Republicans and Democrats. But stocks would be trading at a massive discount without them.Marketsread more
Biden had criticized Kim Jong Un as a "dictator" and a "tyrant" at a recent rally in Philadelphia. North Korean state media responded by calling Biden a "fool of low IQ" among...Politicsread more
Fiat Chrysler and France's Renault could soon partner up to take on the sweeping changes to the global auto industry, according to a report in the Financial Times. The...Autosread more
Microsoft shares have gained 133% since November 2015, outperforming a tech "basket of unicorns" over that stretch.Technologyread more
The president's state visit comes amid tensions with carmaker Toyota over potential auto tariffs. Trump has repeatedly threatened Japanese and European carmakers with tariffs.Traderead more
The IRS is about to release a new draft of Form W-4, which will more closely reflect the changes stemming from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. For workers, that means they'll need...Personal Financeread more
The Mega Millions jackpot has spilled over $400 million. It would be the ninth largest winning since the game began in 2002.Personal Financeread more
Trump was speaking at a meeting of Japanese business leaders in Tokyo during his state visit to Japan on Saturday.Marketsread more
The biggest U.S. gasoline price surge in years is running out of steam just in time for the start of the summer driving season.Energyread more
Goldman Sachs is not feeling very bullish about stocks in 2019, according to its official outlook report to clients out this week.
Here are some of the investment bank's predictions for next year:
Goldman generally believes the bull market will continue in 2019, but it could get choppier as the year continues and investors begin to worry about a recession in 2020. The bank puts a 30 percent probability on a market "downside scenario" where fears of a recession and tariffs drive the market earnings valuation to contract and the S&P 500 to end the year down at 2,500. (It gives a 50 percent probability to its S&P 500 3,000 base case and just a 20 percent probability for the 3,400 upside case.)
"For equity investors, risk is high and the margin of safety is low because stock valuations are elevated compared with history," chief equity strategist David Kostin and team wrote in a note to clients Monday. "We forecast the S&P 500 index will generate a modest single-digit absolute return in 2019. Perhaps more important, the prospective risk-adjusted return to equities will be less than one-half the long-term average and cash will represent a competitive asset class to stocks for the first time in many years."
The bank's economic team said Sunday that economic growth will slow to a crawl in the second half of next year.
The S&P 500 closed Monday at 2,690.73, little changed for 2018 and down 8.5 percent from its record reached earlier in the year. The market slid again Tuesday as investors continued to dump their technology stock winners. An earnings miss from retailer Target also added to the negative sentiment.
Most investors (households, mutual funds, pension funds and foreign entities) are too overweight stocks and need to raise cash, Goldman said.
"These entities have equity allocations ranking in the 89th percentile vs. the past 30 years," the report said. "At the same time, these investors have cash allocations at the very bottom of their historical allocations, often ranking below the 1st percentile."
Goldman still likes technology stocks despite the rout that started in October. The bank also likes communication services, saying both sectors have high profit margins that could be sustainable in a tougher economic environment.
But Goldman is especially bullish utilities, raising the sector to overweight.
The bank likes the sector's "track record of notable outperformance during decelerating GDP growth environments and a low historical beta to S&P 500."