Tech's hottest IPOs of the year, including Beyond Meat and Zoom, dropped on Monday, falling more than the broader market.Technologyread more
Sen. Bernie Sanders announced a plan Monday to forgive the country's $1.6 trillion outstanding student loan tab, intensifying the higher education policy debate in the 2020...Personal Financeread more
"We do not seek conflict with Iran or any other country," Trump tells reporters in the Oval Office.Politicsread more
While earnings usually come in substantially ahead of expectations — as much as 4 or 5 percentage points is not unusual — the downward direction in the outlook doesn't speak...Earningsread more
"We missed being the dominant mobile operating system by a very tiny amount. We were distracted during our antitrust trial. We didn't assign the best people to do the work,"...Technologyread more
PatientsLikeMe was bought by UnitedHealth following a review by Trump's Treasury Department, which scrutinized the start-up because it's backed by Chinese cash.Technologyread more
Some traders think the energy rally is about to wane, despite the sector being one of June's big winners.ETF Edgeread more
Stocks with this one feature are poised to crush the market after a rate cut, according to Goldman Sachs.Marketsread more
An Air Canada passenger traveling to Toronto from a weekend in Quebec City found herself stranded alone on the tarmac and in the dark, in what she described as a "nightmare."Airlinesread more
When Victoria's Secret exited the swimsuit business in 2016, it opened the floodgates for start-ups to conquer that market.Retailread more
Shopify debuts a new network to help it compete with Amazon.Marketsread more
Goldman Sachs has mixed confidence about next year's market and is warning investors to protect themselves with "high quality" stocks, as many clients are telling the firm that a U.S. economic recession is coming as soon as 2020.
"Investors should increase portfolio defensiveness given our forecast for heightened risk and fat tails," Goldman Sachs analyst David Kostin said in a note on Friday.
A fat tail is a way Wall Street describes a larger than usual amount of risk. Goldman Sachs expects the will reach 3,000 by the end of next year, from about 2,600 this week. The firm assigns a 50 percent probability to that baseline scenario. But Goldman sees a 30 percent probability for its downside 2019 forecast of 2,500 and a 20 percent probability for its upside forecast of 3,400.
"The likelihood of tail events is not symmetrical," Kostin said. "The market path in 2019 will depend on investor perception of the longevity of the current economic expansion."
But investors do not sound optimistic. Kostin said that "scores" of Goldman Sachs' recent meetings with clients "indicate that many investors believe the US economy will enter a recession in 2020."
With that expectation, the firm recommends investors own "high quality" stocks with attributes such as strong balance sheets, high return on equity and consistent cash flow. Alphabet, PepsiCo and Mastercard are among the stocks in its high quality basket.
More broadly, Goldman also recommends investors favor utilities and communication services as these two defensive sectors "typically outperform in decelerating GDP growth environments," Kostin added.