Shah Mahmood Qureshi's comments came after tensions over a February standoff between the arch enemies had appeared to ease.
He said on Sunday that an attack could take place between April 16 and 20, adding that Pakistan had told the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council of its concerns.
"India rejects the irresponsible and preposterous statement by the foreign minister of Pakistan with a clear objective of whipping up war hysteria in the region," a spokesman for India's foreign office said in a statement.
"This public gimmick appears to be a call to Pakistan-based terrorists to undertake a terror attack in India."
The foreign office said India reserved the right to respond firmly and decisively to any cross border militant attack, accusing Pakistan of being complicit in such attacks on India.
A suicide car bombing by Pakistan-based militants in Indian-controlled Kashmir killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary police on Feb. 14. The risk of conflict rose dramatically on Feb. 27, when India launched an air strike on what it said was a militant training base inside Pakistan.
The following day Pakistan shot down an Indian fighter jet and captured its pilot who was later released.
Earlier on Sunday, Pakistan summoned the Indian deputy high commissioner to protest against any "misadventure", Pakistani Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Faisal said in a tweet.