"What else do you have to do that will actually have to affect the Iranians' calculus?" said Amos Hochstein, who served as U.S. special envoy for international energy affairs...World Politicsread more
Reports of tensions may have been sparked by Kraft Heinz's underperformance, and because of accounting problems at the packaged goods company.Investingread more
The leaders of Japan and China got off to a tense start but have made significant progress in turning around their relations in recent years.Asia Politicsread more
Tech's hottest IPOs of the year, including Beyond Meat and Zoom, dropped on Monday, falling more than the broader market.Technologyread more
Citi Private Bank says it has maintained an "overweight" stance on stocks in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea.Asia Marketsread more
FedEx sued the U.S. government, saying it should not be held liable if it inadvertently shipped products that violated a Trump administration ban on exports to some Chinese...Traderead more
Stocks in Asia slipped on Tuesday, while investors looked toward a meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping set to happen later in the...Asia Marketsread more
A week of dovish fireworks out of the central banking community has just gone by with most of the world's leading central banks now guiding towards easing in light of downside...Commentaryread more
"We do not seek conflict with Iran or any other country," Trump tells reporters in the Oval Office.Politicsread more
Chinese Vice Premier Liu He held a phone conversation with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, China's Ministry of Commerce...World Economyread more
Sen. Bernie Sanders announced a plan Monday to forgive the country's $1.6 trillion outstanding student loan tab, intensifying the higher education policy debate in the 2020...Personal Financeread more
(Updates prices) SINGAPORE, April 15 (Reuters) - Copper prices rose on Monday, after data from China showed higher unwrought copper imports in March, while declining inventories, concerns over a supply deficit and hopes of a resolution to the U.S.-China trade row also lent support. Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange rose 0.3 percent to $6,500.50 a tonne by 0439 GMT, while the most-traded June copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange advanced 0.7 percent to 49,560 yuan ($7,387.75) a tonne by the end of the morning session. China imported 391,000 tonnes of unwrought copper last month, up 25.7 percent from the previous month and 26.5 percent higher than a year earlier, data released on Friday showed.
China's March copper concentrate imports were also higher than the year-ago levels, at 1.77 million tonnes, but down from an unusually strong February. "This squashed any concerns over soft demand post the Chinese New Year holiday. Sentiment was further boosted by strong credit and monetary data," ANZ said in a note.
* LAS BAMBAS: Chinese miner MMG Ltd said that Las Bambas mine in Peru has progressively restored critical supplies and increased staffing levels over last week after indigenous communities ended a more than two-month blockade of a key highway.
* STOCKS: Copper stocks in LME-approved warehouses fell for a third straight day, by 2,000 tonnes to 192,425 tonnes, according to exchange data released on Friday, while copper inventories in warehouses tracked by the ShFE fell 5 percent from a week ago to 245,178 tonnes. <MCUSTX-TOTAL> <CU-STX-SGH>
* TRADE: U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Saturday a U.S.-China trade agreement would go "way beyond" previous efforts to open China's markets to U.S. companies and hoped that the two sides were "close to the final round" of negotiations.
* ARIZONA: Rio Tinto Ltd said it would invest an extra $302 million to develop its Resolution copper project in the U.S. state of Arizona, as it looks to expands output to meet the lucrative market for new energy vehicles.
* ANTO: Copper will face more disruptions this year than in 2018, as labour strife, extreme weather and unexpected project delays will knock as much as a million tonnes off 2019 production, Chilean miner Antofagasta's chief executive said.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian shares neared nine-month highs after Mnuchin's comments, while strong Chinese export and bank loan data boosted confidence in the global economy.
0630 India WPI Inflation YY March1000 EU Reserve Assets Total March
BASE METALS PRICES 0446 GMTThree month LME copper 6500.5Most active ShFE copper 49550Three month LME aluminium 1864Most active ShFE aluminium 13880Three month LME zinc 2914.5Most active ShFE zinc 22515Three month LME lead 1934Most active ShFE lead 16385Three month LME nickel 13000Most active ShFE nickel 101250Three month LME tin 20775Most active ShFE tin 147990
BASE METALS ARBITRAGE
LME/SHFE COPPER LMESHFCUc3 299.69LME/SHFE ALUMINIUM LMESHFALc3 -243.78LME/SHFE ZINC LMESHFZNc3 -11.95LME/SHFE LEAD LMESHFPBc3 1294.57LME/SHFE NICKEL LMESHFNIc3 5023.51
($1 = 6.7084 Chinese yuan)
(Reporting by Mai Nguyen; additional reporting by Tom Daly in BEIJING; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)