Investors are rushing into the relative safe haven of the bond market, causing the yield on the U.S. 10-year Treasury to plummet.Real Estateread more
President Donald Trump on Thursday directed the U.S. intelligence community to "quickly and fully cooperate" with Attorney General William Barr's investigation into the...Politicsread more
The embattled leader is expected to outline a timetable for her successor to be chosen.Europe Politicsread more
Despite a decline in global commercial real estate markets, Asia-Pacific continues to enjoy a record-breaking growth — thanks to China, according to the Global Capital Flows...Real Estateread more
The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, citing people familiar with the deal, reported that $30 million would go to plaintiffs and $14 million would be used to pay...Entertainmentread more
Assets under management at Swiss private bank Julius Baer rose 12% in the first four months of 2019 to a record 427 billion Swiss francs ($425.34 billion).Earningsread more
Wall Street is becoming convinced that both the White House and Beijing are willing to engage in a protracted trade war that could begin to hit consumers and slow global...Market Insiderread more
The U.S. Commerce Department said its proposed rule would amend the normal countervailing duty process to include new criteria for currency undervaluation.World Economyread more
SpaceX sent 60 satellites into space in a key first mission toward the company's own high-speed internet network.Internetread more
Zilingo founder Ankiti Bose says working as an investment analyst helped her build her near-$1 billion fashion start-up.Ditching the Corporate Liferead more
TransferWise, the money transfer start-up, was valued at $3.5 billion after investors bought $292 million of shares in a secondary sale.Technologyread more
* U.S. letter sets out concerns on EU military accord
* Europeans say U.S. stance is contradictory (Updates with reaction from Mogherini, Dutch minister)
BRUSSELS, May 14 (Reuters) - A new European Union military pact risks shutting American companies out of defence contracts and undermining NATO, the United States has told the bloc, hinting at possible retaliation.
In a May 1 letter, the U.S. government said limitations on the involvement of non-EU countries under consideration in the European pact amounted to "poison pills".
"It is clear that similar reciprocally imposed U.S. restrictions would not be welcomed by our European partners and allies, and we would not relish having to consider them in the future," said the letter from two U.S. Department of Defense undersecretaries, Ellen Lord and Andrea Thompson, to the EU's foreign affairs chief, Federica Mogherini.
Any rules limiting U.S. defence contractors' participation would also amount to "a dramatic reversal of the last three decades of increased integration of the transatlantic defence sector," said the letter, seen by Reuters.
Mogherini said the American concerns over the EU accord - agreed in December 2017 and aiming to fund, develop and deploy armed forces together - were unfounded.
"The European Union is and remains open to U.S. companies and equipment," she told reporters on Tuesday, adding the European procurement market is more open than that of the United States, which is already dominant in the global weapons trade.
EU defence ministers, who discussed the rules governing the pact on Tuesday, are trying to agree legislation by June on how to allow the involvement of non-EU countries, including Britain after it leaves the bloc and the United States.
Dutch Defence Minister Ank Bijleveld said the Netherlands wanted U.S. involvement and had proposed an "emergency brake" mechanism for EU governments to trigger if they felt unease about the participation of non-EU states in a defence project.
President Donald Trump's administration told EU governments in February last year the United States should play a central role in the European pact.
However Trump's "America First" policy, problems for European firms breaking into the U.S. weapons market and years of overlapping defence spending by individual EU members have spurred European efforts to better integrate its armed forces.
The U.S. letter, which says Brussels should not harm damaging burgeoning EU-NATO ties, was the most vocal U.S. opposition to the EU military pact.
As France and Germany seek to develop a next-generation European fighter jet, Washington said it noticed "restrictive language" in draft texts that failed to reciprocate U.S. openness to involving European companies in its contracts.
U.S. concerns about being frozen out of the European pact, known formally as Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) and its multi-billion euro defence fund, have sown confusion in Brussels, which is also the headquarters of U.S.-led NATO.
One European government official said the letter showed a "misunderstanding of how the European Union works" because the defence pact and fund were only one way to coordinate with the United States.
"They are reading language into it (the pact) that fences the European continent off from American cooperation, and that is not true," the official said.
Unlike past attempts at European defence integration that NATO took a dim view of, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has publicly backed the defence pact as long as it does not lead to duplication.
Caught off guard by Russia's 2014 annexation of Crimea and facing threats ranging from state-sponsored computer hackers to militant attacks, EU governments say the pact is justified by EU surveys that show most citizens want the bloc to provide security.
A Franco-British air campaign ran out of munitions and equipment in Libya in 2011 and Europe was again forced to turn to the United States. That was considered an enduring embarrassment for the EU, a global economic power. (Reporting by Robin Emmott Editing by Mark Heinrich and Frances Kerry)