Japan and South Korea are part of a complex and tightly linked supply chain that produces electronic goods such as smartphones and laptops.Technologyread more
A different oil pricing dynamic has been evolving with new supply calculations based on the U.S. as the world's largest producer.Market Insiderread more
The Massachusetts senator's alarm-sounding on consumer debt neglects to measure it against the growth in the economy and the ability to pay.Economyread more
Stocks in Asia Pacific were edged up on Tuesday following overnight gains on Wall Street as the earnings season rolls on.Asia Marketsread more
More than half of Venezuela's 23 states lost power on Monday, according to Reuters witnesses and reports on social media, a blackout the government blamed on an...World Politicsread more
Equifax will give consumers a range of options for monitoring their credit or making claims of fraud or data misuse, part of a $425 million restitution fund.Technologyread more
The deal between the White House and Democrats was earlier expected to raise the debt ceiling for two years and permanently end the sequester.Politicsread more
Britain's Antstream is jumping into the cloud gaming battle with a streaming platform for retro titles. And Tencent just backed the company.Technologyread more
American comedian Hannibal Buress, who stars in "The Eric Andre Show," has made a recent transition into the world of business as an angel investor — but there's an important...How I Made Itread more
The deal could be announced as soon as next week, according to the report.Technologyread more
President Donald Trump held "constructive" discussions on a range of economic issues including trade and national security issues.Technologyread more
Traders are convinced the Federal Reserve will cut rates next month.
The fed funds futures market is now pointing to a 100% chance of an easing of monetary policy next month — a 64% chance of one rate cut to 2% to 2.25% range and a 36% probability of two cuts, according to the CME FedWatch tool. The tool is based on futures pricing from live markets and reflect the views of traders placing real bets on the CME exchange.
The Fed decided to keep the benchmark rate in a target range of 2.25% to 2.5% Wednesday. The Fed's so-called dot plot shows that policy makers are divided for the remainder of this year, with eight members favoring one cut this year while the same number voted in favor of the status quo and one still wants a rate hike.
Along with that forecast, comments from Fed's Powell and a tweak to the central bank's statement caused traders to increase bets a cut is coming. Fed chair Jerome Powell said at a press conference Wednesday the case for more accommodative policy has strengthened, adding that policymakers are concerned about some of the recent economic developments. And the Fed dropped the word "patient" from its statement.
"The Fed has clearly opened the door to a rate cut," said Robin Anderson, senior economist at Principal Financial Group. "The Fed is going to do what it can to maintain the current economic expansion, and the shift in language used in today's statement makes it clear that we'll see at least one rate cut this year, potentially two."
Before the Fed announcement on Wednesday, traders were pricing in a 16% chance that the central bank would keep the rates unchanged in July, while seeing a 65% chance of one cut and a 19% chance of two cuts next month.