Trump said he doesn't see a recession after the bond market spooked investors and the Dow suffered its worst day of the year last week.Marketsread more
Americans now say they approve of free trade by 64%-27%, a margin of better than two to one. That's up from 57%-37% early in Trump's presidency, and 51%-41% near the end of...Politicsread more
Trump said Cook made a "good case" that it would be difficult for Apple to pay tariffs, when Samsung does not face the same hurdle because much of its manufacturing is in...Technologyread more
The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note briefly fell below the 2-year rate on Wednesday, a phenomenon in the bond market known as yield curve inversion, which is...Marketsread more
"I don't want to do business at all because it is a national security threat," Trump told reporters.Technologyread more
Despite aggressive strides, Waymo needs one thing before their self-driving cars become a seriously useful transportation system: people. We talked to the ones closest to it.Technologyread more
Trump's is due to visit Copenhagen early next month, when the Arctic will be on the agenda in meetings.World Politicsread more
The MacBook Pro recall and its subsequent ban from flights underscores the increasing brand risk from problems with lithium-ion batteries.Technologyread more
Experts say the timing of Amazon executives' contributions to Rep. David Cicilline likely reflect the company's heightened urgency over growing regulatory scrutiny.Technologyread more
CNBC combed through Wall Street research to see which stocks are still a buy after their earnings reports.Marketsread more
Coinbase security chief Philip Martin explains, "Possession of a key is possession of your currency. What that means is that you can't revoke a cryptocurrency key, if that key...Technologyread more
After one more interest rate cut, the Federal Reserve will be finished cutting rates, according to Goldman Sachs.
The firm gives an 80% probability of another rate cut this year to wrap up the Fed's easing cycle.
"[Powell's] language we see as consistent with our expectation that easing will end with a second 25bp cut," Goldman chief economist Jan Hatzius said in a note to clients following Wednesday's FOMC meeting.
At the meeting, the Federal Reserve appeased the markets by cutting the target range for its overnight lending rate 25 basis points, to 2% to 2.25%. This marked the first rate cut since the start of the financial recession more than a decade ago. The major stock indexes sold off and bond yields rose after Fed Chairman Jerome Powell's news conference, where he watered down the chances of more rate cuts.
Powell's comments were received as hawkish, given that markets priced in a much deeper cutting cycle, said Hatzius. Although Powell did not rule out further cuts, his comments that the Fed was making a "midcycle adjustment " and was not in a longer-term rate-cutting mode panicked investors.
Hatzius sees a 55% chance of 25 basis point cut in September, a 5% chance of a 50 basis point cut and a 40% chance of no cut.
While Hatzius expects a second cut at the September central bank meeting, he continues "to see little need for it."
"Uncertainty is not actually particularly high and capex expectations are not particularly depressed," said Hatzius.
— With reporting from CNBC's Michael Bloom