U.S. officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, have accused Iran of orchestrating devastating strikes on Saudi oil installations over the weekend.Politicsread more
Thousands of Canadian auto industry workers have been furloughed with more temporary layoffs coming as negotiations on a new labor contract between General Motors and the...Autosread more
Rosengren was one of two central bank officials to vote against Wednesday's quarter-point rate reduction, and explained in a speech to the Stern School of Business at New York...Economyread more
The process will involve three 14-day operations involving $30 billion as well as continued overnight operations of at least $75 billion each.The Fedread more
"The president is right to make this the center point of the rising and sustained trade conflict," says Sen. Chris Coons.Politicsread more
Some businesses, mostly small- to mid-sized companies, are providing workers with paid time off to join the Global Climate Strike, while others are shutting down operations...Weather & Natural Disastersread more
A bipartisan group of senators is urging acting Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Ned Sharpless to immediately pull most e-cigarettes off the market, including market...Health and Scienceread more
More than 400 Chinese products will be temporarily exempted from tariffs that President Donald Trump's administration imposed last year.China Economyread more
"We're gonna take this meeting by meeting. We're not on a preset course," Clarida told CNBC's Sara Eisen during an interview Friday on "Squawk on the Street."The Fedread more
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings admitted that it's a "whole new world starting in November," with the launch of Apple TV+, Disney+ and other new streaming services.Technologyread more
President Donald Trump sarcastically tweeted that New York City "is devastated" by Mayor Bill de Blasio's exit from the 2020 presidential race. Two other Democratic mayors,...2020 Electionsread more
The White House is planning to take a big step Wednesday toward preventing government agencies from doing business with Huawei, according to a senior administration official.
The Trump administration is expected to release a rule Wednesday afternoon that bans agencies from directly purchasing telecom, video surveillance equipment or services from Huawei. The prohibition was mandated by Congress as part of a broader defense bill signed into law last year.
"The administration has a strong commitment to defending our nation from foreign adversaries and will fully comply with Congress on the implementation of the prohibition of Chinese telecom and video surveillance equipment, including Huawei equipment," said Jacob Wood, a spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget.
The new rule, which will take effect Tuesday, also applies to a list of other telecom companies that have sparked security concerns, such as ZTE and Hikvision. In addition, the law set a deadline of August 2020 for a broader ban on federal contractors doing business with Huawei or the covered firms.
Contractors will be able to seek waivers from individual federal agencies if they do not believe their interaction with those companies poses a security threat.
The congressional mandate is separate from the Trump administration's own efforts to rein in Huawei's dominance in the industry.
The Commerce Department has put Huawei on a blacklist that effectively bans the export of goods to the company from the United States. U.S. chipmakers and tech firms can request waivers, and the chief executives of Google, Qualcomm, Micron, Intel and others met with President Donald Trump at the White House last month and urged the administration to issue those decisions quickly.
In addition, the White House has proposed a wide-ranging ban on American companies doing business with Huawei. Those rules have yet to be written, and the administration official did not have an update on its status.
Huawei is a telecom giant and the largest privately held company in China, but hawks on Capitol Hill and in the White House have warned of the company's close ties to the Beijing government and the risks of surveillance.
In an interview on CNBC, Huawei chief security officer Andy Purdy defended the company's track record. He argued that leaders in the United Kingdom and Germany had been told by U.S. officials there were no allegations of a cybersecurity threat from Huawei.
"We have tested the products of all vendors to international standards so that there's trust through verification," Purdy said.