Fed Chairman Jerome Powell faces the tough challenge of presenting a unified voice on Fed policy from the most divided Fed in years.Market Insiderread more
Boris Johnson will be meeting President Donald Trump to discuss a potential post-Brexit trade deal just as he tries to court EU leaders for a new withdrawal agreement.World Politicsread more
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou, who is under house arrest in Canada and facing extradition to America, is not a bargaining chip in the trade...Technologyread more
Arturo Estrella has a message for recession naysayers: It could hit sooner than you think.Marketsread more
Accountants in Hong Kong took to the streets on Friday to call for the government to accept five demands of the people, including the complete withdrawal of a now-suspended...China Politicsread more
Recent trade friction between the two Asian powerhouses has morphed into a dispute with political implications that go far beyond the region.Asia Politicsread more
Local governments commonly share single service providers, making many vulnerable at once. On top of this, ransomware has often been used to mask more targeted, malicious...Technologyread more
The unlikely alliance would in theory enjoy a relatively comfortable majority in the parliament's lower house but would rely on a handful of sympathetic but unaligned...Europe Politicsread more
Bank Indonesia on Thursday cut its key policy rate by 25 basis points to 5.5% to support growth amid an increasingly fragile global economy.Central Banksread more
Meanwhile, investors look ahead to Fed Chair Jerome Powell's speech at a yearly central banking symposium in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.Asia Marketsread more
The U.S Energy Information Administration (EIA) says Australia is on track to consistently export more LNG than Qatar.Oil and Gasread more
BEIJING, Aug 12 (Reuters) - London nickel prices rose sharply in volatile Asian trade early on Monday as speculation continued that key producer Indonesia is about to bring forward a ban on mineral ore exports that was previously set to start in 2022. The metal used to make stainless steel hit a 16-month high last Thursday before shedding 2.1% on Friday. Jakarta is discussing bringing forward the ban but no decision has been made on such a move, Indonesia's trade minister, Enggartiasto Lukita, said on Friday.
* NICKEL: Three-month nickel on the London Metal Exchange rose as much as 3.8% to $16,145 a tonne and stood at $16,125 a tonne as of 0149 GMT, below the 16-month high of $16,690 struck last Thursday. The most-traded October nickel contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange edged down 0.1% to 125,810 yuan ($17,816.83) a tonne.
* VOLUMES: Trading volumes in the October ShFE nickel contract had surged past 1 million lots by 0130 GMT, already surpassing the 30-day average for a full day's trade.
* COLUMN: Indonesian supply fears stoke brutal LME nickel battle: Andy Home
* OTHER METALS: Lead was the second-biggest gainer in the LME complex, adding 1.6% to a two-week high of $2,100 a tonne, while copper was flat at $5,755 a tonne and tin shed 0.7%. ShFE zinc slipped 1.2% and tin fell 1.6%.
* COPPER: Peru on Friday suspended a recently issued construction permit for Southern Copper's Tia Maria mine, a project that has triggered violent protests by nearby residents.
ARIZONA: Rio Tinto on Friday said it had moved a step closer to the development of a new copper project in Arizona, one of the few new major known deposits of the metal, with the potential to meet around a quarter of U.S. demand.
* MOLY: Fresh from closing a $518 million acquisition, metals firm China Molybdenum Co remains open to deals that would boost business in the booming electric vehicle battery sector, the company's chief executive said on Friday.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian shares fell, while gold prices held firm as investors worried a prolonged Sino-U.S. trade war could tip the world and U.S. economies into recession.
BASE METALS PRICES 0151 GMTThree month LME copper 5755Most active ShFE copper 46610Three month LME aluminum 1778Most active ShFE aluminum 13965Three month LME zinc 2240.5Most active ShFE zinc 18405Three month LME lead 2093.5Most active ShFE lead 16955Three month LME nickel 15900Most active ShFE nickel 124870Three month LME tin 16790Most active ShFE tin 133230
($1 = 7.0613 Chinese yuan renminbi)
(Reporting by Tom Daly; editing by Richard Pullin)