Yemen's Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for the attacks, which created a huge fire at a processor essential to global energy supplies.Politicsread more
The benchmark 10-year Treasury note yield tested 1.5% in late August and early September, bouncing off that level and most recently trading around 1.8%. However, another...Marketsread more
SINGAPORE, Aug 28 (Reuters) - London copper prices edged down on Wednesday, as the lack of any clear moves to resolve the protracted U.S.-China trade conflict weighed on the demand outlook for the red metal.
China's foreign ministry reiterated on Tuesday that it had not heard of any recent telephone call between the United States and China on trade, and said it hopes Washington can stop its wrong actions and create conditions for talks.
* COPPER: Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange edged down 0.1% to $5,677 a tonne by 0234 GMT, while the most-traded copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange advanced 0.5% to 46,570 yuan ($6,565.81) a tonne.
* PRICES: London zinc and lead fell 0.6% each, while other metals were almost unchanged. Shanghai aluminum rose 0.5%, nickel fell 0.5% while zinc increased 0.9% and lead rose 1%.
* CHALCO: Aluminum Corp of China Ltd,, known as Chalco, said on Tuesday its revenue rose 15.2% despite a 10% drop in the primary aluminum segment.
* NICKEL: Rapidly rising use of nickel in the batteries that power electric vehicles over coming years means higher prices are needed to incentivise the development of new projects to boost supplies of the metal.
* RARE EARTH: The U.S. Department of Defense is in talks with Australia to host a facility that would process rare earth minerals, part of an effort to reduce reliance on China, a senior American official said.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian shares eked out meager gains, as higher Wall Street futures provided some relief for investors after an overnight U.S. selloff, though deeper worries about the global economy are likely to keep a lid on sentiment.
DATA/EVENTS AHEAD (GMT)
0600 Germany GfK Consumer Sentiment Sept
0600 Germany Import Prices MM, YY July
0800 Italy Consumer Confidence Aug
0800 Euro Zone Money-M3 Annual growth July
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminum
Most active ShFE aluminum
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
ARBS ($1 = 7.0928 Chinese yuan renminbi) (Reporting by Mai Nguyen; editing by Richard Pullin)