- McDonald's is expected to launch a crispy chicken sandwich in the beginning of next year and Telsey Advisory Group said it's going to be a "big U.S. hit for the chain."
- The U.S. chicken marketplace has grown more than 14% this year to about $4.5 million sales per store, according to the firm.
- Chick-fil-A, Popeye's and Wendy's have achieved great success from the rise in popularity of their chicken sandwiches.
Chick-fil-A and Popeye's are about to get some new, crispy competition.
Fast-food restaurant chain McDonald's is expected to launch a crispy chicken sandwich in the beginning of next year and Telsey Advisory Group said its going to be a "big U.S. hit for the chain."
"We believe MCD's new Crispy Chicken Sandwich and Biscuit will usher in a successful new U.S. lineup of better-quality chicken in 2020 and 2021," said Bob Derrington, managing director and senior research analyst at the Telsey Advisory Group, in a note to clients on Thursday.
The U.S. chicken marketplace has grown more than 14% this year to about $4.5 million sales per store, according to the firm. Chick-fil-A, Popeye's and Wendy's have achieved great success from the popularity of their chicken sandwiches. The so-called chicken wars have put pressure on McDonald's to find a competitive chicken option for the fast-food chain.
"We believe MCD's new Crispy Chicken product is almost 'ready for primetime' and successfully face-off against its major nemesis Chick-fil-A," said Derrington, who tried a trial of the sandwich last week in Tennessee. "MCD's New Crispy Chicken Sandwich Tastes Really Good!" he added.
After trying a test of McDonald's crispy chicken sandwich, here's what the analyst concluded:
- The new Crispy Chicken breasts were lightly battered, juicier and more flavorful, and in our view a terrific upgrade from MCD's more heavily battered, less juicy Buttermilk Crispy Chicken.
- McDonald's Crispy Chicken includes a full muscle chicken breast, lightly breaded with a sweet fried flour coating.
- The Crispy Chicken sandwich is served on a lightly buttered and toasted premium brioche potato bun and topped with two crinkle-cut pickle chips.
Derrington said no matter how good the sandwich is, it's up to McDonald's marketing team to convince consumers to buy it and the operations team in-store to execute and deliver a strong product experience.
McDonald's base crispy chicken sandwich was "priced aggressively" at only $3.49, while Chick-fil-A's sandwich is priced at $3.79. Both of Popeye's sandwiches retail for $3.99, Derrington noted.
Telsey Advisory Group has an outpeform rating on McDonald's, as well as Wendy's and Jack in the Box. The firm has a neutral rating on Yum Brands, Domino's Pizza and Restaurant Brands.
Shares of McDonald's are up nearly 10% this year.
— With reporting from CNBC's Michael Bloom.