- A federal judge did not grant a Justice Department request to hold the office of former President Donald Trump in contempt of court over a grand jury subpoena.
- That subpoena demands the return of any classified documents still in Trump's possession or control.
- Trump, who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, is under criminal investigation for his removal of government documents from the White House when he left the White House.
- An FBI raid of his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida discovered thousands of government records, some of them classified or highly classified.
A federal judge on Friday did not grant a Justice Department request to hold former President Donald Trump's office in contempt of court for allegedly failing to comply with a grand jury subpoena, NBC News reported.
The department wanted Judge Beryl Howell to find Trump's office in contempt for not fully complying with the subpoena issued in May, which demanded he return classified documents still in his possession, according to a person familiar with the issue who spoke to NBC News.
The Justice Department had no comment on Howell's rejection of the request, which came after a closed hearing was scheduled for the matter in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.
The hearing was sealed because it relates to grand jury proceedings. NBC News was part of a media coalition seeking access to the hearing.
Trump's lawyers Evan Corcoran, Jim Trusty and Timothy Parlatore were seen entering Howell's chambers around the time of the scheduled hearing at 2 p.m. ET, NBC reported.
The trio then was leaving the courthouse at just before 3:30 p.m.
Federal prosecutors are conducting a criminal investigation of Trump for his failure to return government documents when he left the White House, as well as for possible obstruction of justice.
Trump last month announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.
Trump's spokesperson, in a statement Friday, said, "The President and his counsel will continue to be transparent and cooperative, even in the face of the highly weaponized and corrupt witch-hunt from the Department of Justice."
"Hillary Clinton was allowed to delete and acid wash 33,000 emails after they were subpoenaed by Congress, yet absolutely nothing has happened to hold her accountable," the spokesperson said.
"If the Department of Justice can go after President Trump, they will surely come after any American who they disagree with."