AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Oct. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Center Line unveils welcome sign with addition of 'Home of Mopar' moniker.
- Mopar's World Headquarters is located in Center Line, Mich. and employs more than 1000 people
- Mopar's national parts distribution center and packing operations distribute more than 280,000 parts and accessories to 120 countries.
- Mopar's facilities sit on 80 acres of land that includes an office complex and 1.2 million square-feet of warehouse space
The city of Center Line, Mich., has been officially recognized as the "Home of Mopar" by Mayor David Hanselman and City Manager John B. Michrina. Both city officials invited the brand's President and CEO, Pietro Gorlier, to join them today in unveiling the addition of the Mopar name to the city's welcome sign located at 10 Mile Road near Sherwood Avenue.
Mopar's national parts distribution center and packing operations are based in Center Line and employ more than 1000 hourly and salaried employees. From the world headquarters, more than 280,000 authentic, quality-tested Mopar performance parts and accessories are distributed to more than 120 countries across the globe from 319 international and 20 North American shipping points in the United States.
"Mopar has enjoyed a major presence in Center Line since 1953 and we are very proud to call it our home," said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand. "We sincerely appreciate the mayor making it official by sharing the moniker with the rest of the city and its visitors."
"The city celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2011 and it seemed fitting to mark Mopar's own 75th anniversary this year by adding their name to our welcome signs for all to see," Hanselman said. "Mopar has been an integral part of Center Line's community for nearly 60 years and we want everyone to know that our city is their chosen home."
Mopar' Center Line headquarters sits on 80 acres of land that includes an office complex that houses over 200 employees, and 1.2 million square-feet of warehouse space for the parts distribution center and packaging department.
Before establishing itself in Center Line, the first building to bear the Mopar name in the Detroit area was opened in May 1945, following a move from its initial location in Marysville, Mich., just weeks before the end of World War II.
Worldwide, Mopar employs more than 6,500 people, provides 500,000 parts and accessories that are available in more than 130 markets through 52 distribution centers.
Mopar has introduced numerous industry-first features including:
- Vehicle-information apps: first to introduce smartphone vehicle-information applications, a new channel of communication with consumers
- Electronic owner manuals: first to introduce traditional owner manuals in a DVD and brief user-guide format and first to offer complete vehicle-information kits in Spanish
- Wi-Fi: first to offer customers the ability to make their vehicle a wireless hot spot
- Wireless charging: first to introduce in-vehicle wireless charging for portable devices
- Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS): first to market with a new interactive vehicle tracking device that sends owner a text when vehicle is driven too fast or too far based on pre-set parameters
- 2011 Mopar Challenger Drag Pak: first to introduce a 500-plus cubic-inch V-10 drag-race package car
- Brand-specific customer care telephone lines: first to offer Sunday service hours for customers
- WiTECH: first to support vehicle diagnosis and software updates leveraging off-the-shelf personal computers and a dedicated wireless tool network
About the Mopar Brand
Mopar is Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand and distributes 280,000 parts and accessories. With the creation of the Chrysler Group and Fiat SpA partnership, Mopar is extending its global reach, integrating service, parts and customer-care operations in order to enhance dealer and customer support worldwide. Combined with Fiat SpA, Mopar's global portfolio includes more than 500,000 parts and accessories that are distributed in more than 120 countries. Mopar is the source for all genuine parts and accessories for Chrysler Group and Fiat SpA brands.
Mopar parts are unique in that they are engineered with the same teams that create factory-authorized vehicle specifications for Chrysler Group and Fiat SpA vehicles — a direct connection that no other aftermarket parts company can provide. A complete list of Mopar accessories and performance parts is available at www.mopar.com.
75 Years of Mopar
Mopar (a simple contraction of the words MOtor and PARts) was trademarked for antifreeze product in 1937. The Mopar brand made its mark in the 1960s — the muscle-car era. The Chrysler Corporation built race-ready Dodge and Plymouth "package cars" equipped with special high-performance parts. Mopar carried a line of "special parts" for super-stock drag racers and developed its racing parts division called Mopar Performance Parts to enhance speed and handling for both road and racing use. The brand has expanded to include technical service and customer support.
SOURCE Chrysler Group LLC