PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 30, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Independence Blue Cross (IBC) has taken extra measures to ensure all of its 2.2 million members in southeastern Pennsylvania have access to information and health care services despite disruptions caused by Hurricane Sandy.
Through Wednesday, October 31, 2012, the company has:
- Made Customer Service staff available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (1-800-275-2583) (even though company offices remain closed today) to assist members and ensure they have uninterrupted access to health care services during the storm and its aftermath,
- Waived all pre-certification, referral, and hospital admission requirements for October 29 and 30 for medically necessary care.
- Modified its payment policy for out-of-network urgent and emergency care services for members who do not have access to their usual physicians and facilities. The company will work closely with hospitals, doctors, and urgent care facilities to ensure members have access to emergency care anywhere they need it.
- Waived the usual pre-certification requirement for members with prescription for new medications, allowing pharmacies to fill four days worth of a prescription.
- Permitted members to refill prescriptions even if it would normally be too soon for a refill, including for those members who may have lost their prescription due to the storm.
If IBC members need to seek medical assistance, they are reminded to have their IBC member card and government-issued photo identification on hand. This will ensure that any member can access medical care quickly and without confusion.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurer in southeastern Pennsylvania with 2.2 million members. With our affiliates, we have 3.1 million members nationwide. For nearly 75 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more about how we're changing the game, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
CONTACT: Laura Hanes 215-910-0966 Laura.Hanes@ibx.comSource:Independence Blue Cross