HANOVER PARK, Ill., Oct. 31, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Twenty schools across the country need the public's help as they fight to win the title of the "Pink Glove Dance Competition" in honor of October Breast Cancer Awareness month. Final voting (www.pinkglovedance.com) ends Friday, November 2.
School Health Corporation, the leading provider of medical supplies to schools, has partnered with Medline Industries, Inc., to raise awareness about breast cancer and prevention and has developed a unique way to do it — invite organizations to upload a video of them dancing with pink gloves on — and ask the public to choose the winner.
Of the 20 educational institutions that have uploaded their dance video, only three will win prizes from School Health —
- First place: $500 in medical school supplies and a $500 donation to the breast cancer charity of choice.
- Second place: $375 in medical school supplies and a $375 donation to the chosen charity.
- Third place: $250 in medical supplies and a $250 charity donation.
To vote, people can go to can go to www.pinkglovedance.com to cast their vote for their favorite school video. Voters will need a Facebook account to register their choice.
The contest, called the Pink Glove Dance Competition, is sponsored by Medline. "Gloves are the first point of contact between the health care worker and the patient," said Andy Mills, president of Medline. "As a way to extend our breast cancer awareness campaign, we developed a pink glove called Generation Pink®, with the aim of getting people to talk about breast cancer."
The original Pink Glove Dance video premiered in November 2009. Today, the competition has attracted entries from 42 states, including Canada and Puerto Rico. While the contest attracts multiple types of healthcare organizations, few are schools, which is why School Health Corporation is reminding the public that schools can also make a difference.
"Twenty educational institutions across the country have built a truly fun and innovative way to inform the public about breast cancer awareness and prevention," said Susan Rogers, president of School Health Corporation. "Breast cancer touches so many people and the passion and excitement the participants have for this cause really comes through in their videos." The schools competing are listed below:
- Brown Mackie College Miami School of Nursing (Miami)
- Vienna High School (Vienna)
- Niles Township High Schools (Skokie)
- Waubonsee Community College Student Nurse Association (Sugar Grove)
- Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine (North Grafton)
- Pearl High School (Pearl)
- Springfield Public Schools R-12 School District (Springfield)
- Pierremont Elementary (Manchester)
- Salter School of Nursing (Derry)
- The College at Brockport (Brockport)
- Coastal Carolina Community College (Jacksonville)
- Sun Valley High School HOSA club (Peachland)
- Ohio University School of Nursing-College of Health Science and Professions (Athens)
- Riverview Elementary School (Fort Mill)
- St. Agnes Academy-St. Dominic School (Memphis)
- Texarkana College (Texarkana)
- United South High School (United Independent School District) (Laredo)
- West Texas Elementary School (Stinnett)
- Lakeside Elementary School (Barboursville)
- Sheridan High School (Sheridan)
About School Health Corporation
School Health Corporation (www.schoolhealth.com) is the nation's leading supplier of health supplies and equipment to schools. School Health has evolved from a specialized distributor of basic supplies to a consultative solutions provider for major health initiatives including vision and hearing screening, emergency response preparedness, infection control, and wellness plans. In addition, School Health owns and operates Sports Health, a division of School Health that provides products for the sports medicine arena, and EnableMart, a world leader in Assistive Technology for those with blindness, low vision, hearing loss, learning disorders and other disabilities.
As the nation's largest privately held manufacturer and distributor of medical supplies, Medline is focused on helping to improve the quality of care for patients and residents. Breast cancer awareness is a natural extension of Medline's corporate mission to help save lives through the early detection of breast cancer. (Visit www.medline.com/breast-cancer-awareness for details). Based in Mundelein, Ill., Medline manufactures and distributes more than 125,000 products to hospitals, extended care facilities, physician offices, surgery centers, home care dealers and agencies and other markets.
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com
Source:School Health Corporation