ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Following through on its commitment to support the communities it serves, Western Union, through The Western Union Foundation Agent Gift Match Program, will donate up to USD $400,000 to help support Hurricane Sandy disaster relief efforts.
The Western Union Agent Gift Match Program matches one-for-one Agent donations to eligible nonprofit organizations. To date, Western Union Agent Gift Match participants include:
- The Rite Aid Foundation donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross
- Food Lion is accepting customer donations and The Western Union Foundation will match contributions up to $100,000 benefiting the American Red Cross
The Western Union Foundation will match qualifying Agent donations on a one-for-one basis.
To help facilitate support between family and friends, Western Union, in cooperation with its Agents, also has introduced a “Hurricane Sandy” reduced money transfer fee of $5* when sending up to $1,000 within the U.S. to Connecticut, New Jersey and New York.
The “Hurricane Sandy” reduced fee* program will be available, across participating Western Union® Agent locations, starting Friday, November 02, 2012 through Thursday, November 08, 2012.
Other Western Union programs supporting Hurricane Sandy disaster relief efforts include:
Mobilizing Consumer Giving:
- Western Union is enabling consumers in the U.S. to give to the American Red Cross as part of a “no transfer fee” program using the Western Union® Quick Collect® or Payments Service Form through participating Western Union® Agent locations across the U.S.
Consumers need to complete the blue form, using "American Red Cross” as the Pay To recipient; “REDCROSS DC” as the Code City, along with “Hurricane Relief” in the account field. This consumer-giving option will be available through November 30, 2012.
Motivating Employee Giving:
- To encourage and support employee philanthropy, Western Union, through The Western Union Foundation, will match all employee donations to the foundation two-for-one for U.S.-based employees.
- Consumers and employees can also give online by using the “Donate Now” button: www.westernunionfoundation.org.
Direct Support through Grantmaking:
- As previously announced, The Western Union Foundation provided an initial combined grant totaling $75,000 to the American Red Cross, to provide impacted communities in the U.S. with shelter, food and basic necessities, and the International Federation of the Red Cross Red Crescent Societies to support rebuilding efforts in Jamaica and Cuba.
*Western Union also makes money from currency exchange.
About Western Union
The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU) is a leader in global payment services. Together with its Vigo, Orlandi Valuta, Pago Facil and Western Union Business Solutions branded payment services, Western Union provides consumers and businesses with fast, reliable and convenient ways to send and receive money around the world, to send payments and to purchase money orders. As of September 30, 2012, the Western Union, Vigo and Orlandi Valuta branded services were offered through a combined network of approximately 510,000 agent locations in 200 countries and territories. In 2011, The Western Union Company completed 226 million consumer-to-consumer transactions worldwide, moving $81 billion of principal between consumers, and 425 million business payments. For more information, visit www.westernunion.com.
About The Western Union Foundation
The Western Union Foundation is dedicated to creating a better world, where the ability to realize dreams through economic opportunity is not just a privilege for the few but a right for all. With the support of the Western Union Company, its employees, Agents, and business partners, the Western Union Foundation works to realize this vision by supporting education and disaster relief efforts as pathways toward a better future. Our combined social ventures efforts make life better for individuals, families and communities around the world. Since its inception, the Western Union Foundation has awarded more than $81.7 million in grants to more than 2,551 nongovernmental organizations in more than 124 countries and territories. To learn more, visit www.westernunionfoundation.org.
Daniel Diaz, +1 (720) 332-5564
Source: Western Union