SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Coverity, the development testing leader, today announced the next generation of its Coverity Development Testing Platform, an integrated suite of software testing technologies for identifying and remediating critical quality and security issues during development. Coverity's newest innovation, Coverity Test Advisor, includes patent pending innovations for change impact analysis to focus unit testing on high risk code, including changed code and code impacted by a change, alerting developers of code not covered by unit tests.
Time to market demands have increased the speed of development and the rate of change. Traditional unit testing, while valuable, has been inefficient, failing to focus squarely on critical parts of the code and lacking insight into change impact. Technology to enable development testing must sufficiently cover the risk areas in the code, including intelligence into code change without slowing down development.
The next generation Coverity Development Testing Platform helps manage the risk of change while accelerating time to market through:
Intelligent Code and Test Analysis: Coverity has extended its Static Analysis Verification Engine (Coverity SAVE™), built on multiple patents for accurate and scalable techniques in defect detection, with new analysis innovations including:
- Patent Pending Change Impact Analysis: Ensure code changes are sufficiently tested by automatically mapping code and function dependencies to analyze impacted code related to a change—both code that has been directly modified and unmodified code that is impacted by the code change.
- Intelligent Java Quality and Security Analysis: Identify critical quality and security issues through enhanced quality analysis and new security analysis for Java web applications, including an enterprise framework analyzer which augments static source code analysis to identify new types of defects and minimize false positives.
Patent Pending Remediation: Coverity provides developers with accurate and actionable information to fix quality defects, security defects, test violations and third party analysis defects in a unified workflow. The platform includes a patent pending remediation engine that gives developers precise, defect-specific guidance to help them fix security defects correctly and efficiently, without specialized knowledge.
Additional highlights include:
- CWE-Compatibility: Coverity Quality Advisor and Coverity Security Advisor have been awarded a certificate of Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE) Compatibility by MITRE.
- Open Platform API: Companies can integrate third-party software analysis results into the Coverity Development Testing Platform.
Governance & Policy Management: Coverity enables the creation of consistent development testing standards across internal and offshore teams, open source, and third-party suppliers to monitor against these standards, pinpoint areas of risk and make better release decisions.
Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) Integrations: Coverity supports bi-directional integration with existing lifecycle tools including IDEs, source control management, test coverage, bug tracking, build and continuous integration and application lifecycle management solution to make development testing a natural part of the SDLC process.
"Business innovation relies on rapidly changing, adaptive software, and effective, targeted quality strategies demand visibility into code changes and their impact," said Melinda Ballou, Program Director of IDC's Application Life-Cycle Management and Executive Strategies service. "Fragmented approaches to quality, security and change management are expensive and can lead to prohibitive application failure and wasted resources. We recommend bringing these areas together with an integrated workflow and coordinated platform."
"Our SDLC process needs extreme precision to ensure resilient and fast software delivery," said Saro Jahani, CIO of Direct Edge. "A cornerstone in our process is development testing. Coverity equips our developers with the right process and technology to find and fix issues early, quickly and efficiently. With this focus and predictability, we are able to keep pace with the rapid rate of change and deliver high quality products and services in shorter, more efficient iterations. Development testing is a competitive differentiator for our business through reduced risk, better stability, faster functionality and accelerated time to market."
"Smart companies recognize the need for development testing but it's not just about cobbling together disparate, inaccurate and inefficient tools," said Jennifer Johnson, VP of Marketing at Coverity. "Coverity provides development with the right focus, intelligence, information and visibility to operationalize development testing in a way that makes software delivery fast, resilient and predictable. This ultimately leads to competitive advantage."
Coverity Development Testing Platform 6.5 is generally available.
- Learn more about development testing
- Attend a webinar to hear more about what's new in the Coverity Development Testing Platform
- Learn more about Coverity Test Advisor
- Read the Direct Edge press release and watch a video featuring Saro Jahani, CIO of Direct Edge
Coverity, Inc., (www.coverity.com), the development testing leader, is the trusted standard for companies that need to protect their brands and bottom lines from software failures. More than 1,100 Coverity customers use Coverity's development testing suite of products to automatically test source code for software defects that could lead to product crashes, unexpected behavior, security breaches or catastrophic failure. Coverity is a privately held company headquartered in San Francisco. Coverity is funded by Foundation Capital and Benchmark Capital. Follow us on Twitter.