DALLAS, Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced an isolated gate driver for insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) and MOSFETs that is 40 percent faster than equivalent optical gate drivers. The input TTL logic and output power stage in the ISO5500 are separated by a capacitive, silicon dioxide (SiO2) isolation barrier that doubles the lifetime of the device compared to optocouplers and magnetic isolators. When used with isolated power supplies, the device provides for safer, more reliable electronics by blocking high voltages, isolating ground and preventing noise currents from entering the local ground and interfering with or damaging sensitive circuitry. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/iso5500-pr.
The ISO5500 provides over-current protection, while an under-voltage lockout circuit monitors the output power supply to ensure sufficient gate drive voltage in motor control, motion control, industrial inverter and switch-mode power supply applications. If the output supply drops below 12 V, the gate driver outputs transitions to a logic-low state, turning off the power transistor. This prevents the device from overheating and damage. The new gate driver is qualified for operating at extended temperatures from –40C to +125C.
To provide secondary power supply to the ISO5500, the SN6501 transformer driver can be used in conjunction with a transformer, rectifier and a regulator. The result is a small, low-cost, high-efficiency, low electro-magnetic interference (EMI), solution for generating the isolated power to the system.
Key features and benefits of the ISO5500
- Fastest propagation time: Maximum propagation delay of 300 ns enables faster control of the motor.
- Better matching between devices improves performance: Maximum device-to-device skew is 45 ns, which is 80 percent better compared to optical gate drivers. This is essential for H-bridge applications, such as motor control and power inverters, to ensure accurate switching performance.
- Higher reliability: Offers 4 kV electrostatic discharge (ESD) on all pins to ensure high reliability, preventing damage to the device in harsh environments.
- Eases design, reduces cost: Supports 3.3-V and 5-V supplies, enabling the use of a single device across 3.3-V and 5-V applications. It also eliminates the need for a level translator, reducing system cost and device count.
- Compatible with TI microcontrollers: The ISO5500 complements TI's microcontroller portfolio for various motor and digital power control applications allowing for isolation of the signal circuitry and controller from high voltages.
Tools and Support
The ISO5500EVM is available to evaluate device parameters while acting as a guide for board layout. It can be ordered today for US$49.
Support is available on the Industrial Interface Forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers designing with the ISO5500 can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The ISO5500 is available in a 10.3-mm by 10.3-mm, 16-pin SOIC package. Suggested retail pricing in 1,000-unit quantities is US$3.00.
Learn more about TI's isolation portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order ISO5500 samples: www.ti.com/iso5500s-pr.
- Order ISO5500 evaluation modules: www.ti.com/iso5500evms-pr.
- Learn more about TI's Motor Drive and Control Solutions: www.ti.com/motor-pr
- Download TI's Motor Solutions Guide: www.ti.com/lit/pdf/slyb165.
- Follow what TI signal chain experts have to say on our blog: www.ti.com/analogwire-pr.
- Download a news release graphic at: www.ti.com/newscenterphotos-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated