DALLAS, Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced that its low-cost radio frequency (RF) value line of system-on-chips (SoCs) now supports 2.4 GHz frequency bands with the new CC2543, CC2544 and CC2545 SoCs. The SoCs integrate a microcontroller (MCU), 32kB flash and one or two kB RAM on a single die, making them ideal solutions for consumer electronics requiring cost and space efficiency. Examples of such devices include computer peripherals, gaming devices, remote controls and toys. The three SoCs are distinguished by different numbers of general I/O pins and, for USB dongle applications, the CC2544 also comes equipped with a USB interface.
TI also released today the CC2543-CC2544DK development kit, which provides a complete hardware performance test platform and software development environment for 2.4 GHz proprietary applications. For more information, visit www.ti.com/rfvalueline-pr. Additionally, for $99, developers can reuse the same base boards and upgrade to a Bluetooth® low energy development environment.
"Building on the success of our sub-1 GHz value line, the 2.4 GHz RF value line SoCs offer solutions to engineers looking for compact, yet high performing radio frequency technology demanded by the consumer electronics applications market," said Erling Simensen, product marketing manager, Wireless Connectivity Solutions, TI. "The level of integration achieved with the CC2543, CC2544 and CC2545 SoCs enables remote controls, keyboards, mice and more to be designed with a single chip as the only active component."
The CC2543/44/45 SoCs feature a 2Mbps data rate, 102 dB link budget and a less than 1uA sleep current with sleep timer running. They are distinguished by different numbers of general I/O pins (with the CC2544 also supporting the USB interface). The three SoCs are over-the-air compatible with CC2500- and CC2510-based products, and the TPS62730 step down converter with bypass mode for ultra-low-power wireless applications. Additionally, developers can upgrade to have more memory or to include Bluetooth low energy support—the latter made possible by easily switching to the CC2540/41 SoCs, which also support Bluetooth low energy applications. Both CC2543/44 and CC2540/41 development kits (DKs) are using the same base-board and IDE.
CC2543, CC2544 and CC2545 2.4 GHz value line SoCs
• 2Mbps radio
• Up to 256 byte packet length
• Quick RX/TX turnaround time
• High effective data rate, up to 1.6Mbps sustainable throughput
• Less time on-air, equals lower power consumption
• +4dBm output power
• -98dBm sensitivity @ 250kbps
• -90dBm sensitivity @ 2Mbps
• Up to 102dB link budget
• Long range with small antennas
• <1uA sleep current with timer running
• Quick transition between power modes
• Compatible with TPS62730 step down converter with bypass mode for ultra-low-power wireless applications
• Several years of battery life on AA cells possible depending on application
Low cost design:
• Integrated MCU, RF, memory (32kB flash and one or two kB RAM) and USB (CC2544)
• Ultra low-cost crystal, few external components, small PCB antennas
• Reduces bill of materials for consumer applications
• 250kbps MSK, 500kbps MSK
• 250 kbps GFSK dev. 160 kHz, 1 Mbit GFSK dev. 160 kHz, 2Mbit GFSK dev. 320. kHz
• Compatible over-the-air with CC2500 and CC2510
• Compatible over-the-air with competitive products
Availability and pricing
The 2.4 GHz RF value line is available today through authorized TI distributors. Pricing starts at $1.45 for quantities of 10k. The solutions are packaged in a ROHS-compliant, 5 mm x 5 mm QFN-32.
The new CC2543-CC2544DK development kit is priced at $299.00 and is available on the TI eStore and through authorized distributors.
Find out more about TI's low-power RF and wireless connectivity solutions
- TI's sub-1 GHz and 2.4 GHz RF value line: www.ti.com/rfvalueline-pr
- TI's sub-1 GHz performance line: www.ti.com/rfperformanceline-pr
- TI's wireless connectivity selection guide: www.ti.com/wirelessconnectivityguide
- TI E2E™ low-power RF and wireless connectivity community: www.ti.com/lprf-forum
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments