ST. LOUIS, Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Rescue pets can reach their full potential if just given the opportunity. Four rescue pets have been selected as finalists in the "Tales of Greatness" Purina® Pro Plan® 2012 Rally to Rescue® Story Contest, proving that even in the face of challenging beginnings all pets can make a positive difference. Purina® Pro Plan® is now inviting pet lovers to share in the celebration of these remarkable stories of achievement by voting in the nationwide contest.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/58333-purina-pro-plan-rally-to-rescue-tales-of-greatness-pet-story-contest
From now until Oct. 26, animal lovers have an opportunity to support pet rescue by participating in a campaign that celebrates rescue dogs and cats, and the organizations that helped put them on the path to achieve greatness. Pet lovers can visit www.facebook.com/rallytorescue to view the four finalist pet rescue stories and vote for the pet they feel best exemplifies living a life of greatness. The contest winner will be determined by a combination of a popular vote and judges' scores.
"From a shelter dog who became a registered therapy pet to a cat who survived several touch-and-go days of intensive care to teach children about kindness, these tremendous rescue pets have embarked on courageous journeys and proven that any pet can achieve greatness," said Robert Tochterman, brand manager for Purina Pro Plan. "We're proud to celebrate the amazing achievements of these pets and the rescue organizations that gave them constant support and dedication to help them on their journey toward greatness."
A total of 40 stories were submitted and a judging panel selected the four stories that best captured how these pets have achieved greatness. The winning rescue organization, pet and owner will win a trip to Philadelphia and be honored live in the main ring prior to the start of the National Dog Show presented by Purina®,which airs on NBC on Thanksgiving. The winning pet rescue organization also will be rewarded with $5,000 in Purina Pro Plan brand pet food coupons to help in their continued support and care of homeless pets, and the winning pet owner will be awarded with a one-year supply of Purina Pro Plan brand pet food.
Purina Pro Plan Rally to Rescue Tales of Greatness Stories Contest Finalists
The pets chosen as the four finalists in the "Tales of Greatness" Purina® Pro Plan® 2012 Rally to Rescue® Story Contest include:
- Willow, submitted by AZ Cactus Corgi Rescue (Glendale, Ariz.)
- After entering the shelter as a ball of energy, the stunning Pembroke Welsh Corgi, with a true zest for life, focused her high energy to become top ranked in flyball.
- Pudding, submitted by Door County Humane Society (Sturgeon Bay, Wis.)
- Once adopted into a loving home following an immediate connection, the laid-back, happy cat and his owner, Amy, learned that while it appeared she rescued him, in reality he rescued her.
- Bogey, submitted by Agee Memorial Wildlife Fund, Inc. (El Dorado Hills, Calif.)
- Overcoming obstacles and several touch-and-go days of intensive care, a handsome Manx cat with bright green eyes kept his spirit strong and lived to become an education ambassador helping teach children about humane animal treatment and abuse prevention.
- Angel, submitted by S.A.F.E. Animal Haven (Matthews, N.C.)
- A neighbor's kind intervention in a cruel situation gave a dog and her six puppies the forever homes they deserved. The rescued dog then shared her kind, compassionate heart with others by serving as a registered therapy dog, bringing joy to the residents of an assisted living center.
About Rally to Rescue®
Smaller pet rescue organizations help place nearly half a million dogs and cats in homes each year and represent nearly 45 percent of all pet adoption agencies. However, they are often overlooked by potential donors due to more limited fundraising and marketing resources.
The Purina Pro Plan Rally to Rescue campaign is committed to raising funds and awareness for approximately 500 pet rescue organizations nationwide via local adoption events. In addition to helping find loving, forever homes for more than 500,000 pets since 2005, Pro Plan has provided more than $1 million in support of the Rally to Rescue program during the past two years.
About Purina Pro Plan
Purina® Pro Plan® supports pets and their owners on their personal journey toward greatness. The brand offers a complete line of dog and cat food made with high-quality ingredients for outstanding nutrition and taste, in a variety of formulas to help meet a pet's unique needs based on life stage, lifestyle and breed size. By providing this top-tier nutrition for dogs and cats, plus key resources and tools, Purina Pro Plan believes it can help pets reach their full potential – so they can live healthy, happy lives.
About Nestle Purina
Nestle Purina PetCare Company is a global leader in the pet care industry and promotes responsible pet care, humane education, community involvement and the positive bond between people and their pets. The North American headquarters for Nestle Purina is located at Checkerboard Square in St. Louis, Missouri. Nestle Purina is part of Swiss-based Nestle, the world's leading nutrition, health and wellness company.
Sylvia Henry: 312.729.4472
Bill Etling: 314.982.4825
Nestle Purina PetCare Company
SOURCE Nestle Purina PetCare Company