With more than 5.2 million Medicare members, Humana serves Medicare beneficiaries across the U.S.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- As one of the nations’s most experienced Medicare companies, Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) is preparing to address the growing health care needs of the expanding Medicare population.
Humana companies are once again offering a wide variety of cost-effective health plans during the upcoming Medicare Annual Election Period (AEP). Humana will be providing Medicare Advantage (MA) and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) to people eligible for Medicare in 2013.
The AEP, when Medicare beneficiaries will select their Medicare coverage for 2013, runs from Oct. 15 – Dec. 7, 2012, with coverage taking effect on Jan. 1, 2013. As in recent years, Medicare beneficiaries won’t be able to switch plans after the AEP ends (unless they qualify for a special enrollment period), per Medicare program rules.
Medicare Advantage Plans
Humana’s Medicare Advantage plans help people get the most out of their health care dollars and include coverage for services like doctors’ visits, preventive checkups, and hospital stays and many also include coverage for prescription drugs. Most plans also provide benefits such as:
- Urgent care coverage at all U.S. Concentra medical clinics – offering members savings at in-network urgent care clinics.
- Routine eye exams, preventive dental care and over the counter medications.
“To date in 2012, approximately 1.9 million Medicare beneficiaries have selected Humana individual Medicare Advantage plans for their medical insurance coverage,” said Tom Liston, President of Humana’s Retail Segment. “Humana Medicare Advantage members can rest assured knowing that their coverage continues to be accessible, affordable and meets their individual healthy living and well-being needs. We remain focused and committed to providing value-based health care for our members through an easy-to-navigate, customer-focused experience.”
With prescription coverage, health-and-wellness offerings and chronic-condition-management programs available, Humana MA plans offer enrollees many choices – including local and regional PPO plans, HMO and Private Fee-For-Service plans.
Humana MA plans also have annual out-of-pocket maximums in 2013, protecting beneficiaries against catastrophic costs. Humana is committed to informing its members and eligible Medicare beneficiaries of the various benefit and savings options that are available to them for 2013.
Prescription Drug Plans
Among Humana’s most popular PDP offerings is the Humana Walmart-Preferred Rx Plan (PDP). Since the plan began, more than 1.5 million members have enrolled. For the third straight year, the plan features a national premium that is among one of the lowest in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.:
- Copayments for generic drugs start at just $1 (after deductible) for preferred generic prescriptions filled at any Walmart, Sam’s Club or Neighborhood Market pharmacy.
- Copayments of $0 for generic drugs are available (after deductible) for many prescriptions filled via Humana’s mail-order pharmacy, RightSource.
“For the third year, the Humana Walmart-Preferred Rx Plan will help members save money on the prescription medications they need,” said Liston. “Members can once again benefit from getting coverage from a plan with one of the lowest national PDP premiums.”
Humana has also made changes to the Humana Enhanced (PDP) by including Walmart and Walgreens as preferred pharmacies. Members will continue to have access to a large network of over 60,000 pharmacies, and may save even more when going to Walmart or Walgreens.
Well-Being Benefits for Members
Humana continues to support its Medicare members on their lifelong pursuit of health and well-being. As part of Humana’s commitment, most Humana MA members enjoy access to programs that encourage healthy behaviors such as gym memberships through SilverSneakers or Silver & Fit fitness programs and the WellDine food program, which delivers meals directly to members’ homes following a hospitalization.
“Baby Boomers aging into Medicare are expressing strong interest in Humana’s preventive care benefits because they know Humana can help them live healthier and productive lives,” Liston said.
Most Humana MA members will also receive Humana Active Outlook, which includes Humana Active Outlook magazine, an advanced care planning guide, Health and Wellness Classes, and interactive webinars.
In 2013 Humana is offering their MA plan options in multiple markets across the U.S. Here’s an overview of the various plan options Humana is offering for 2013:
- HMO plans in 34 States, expanding to 31 new markets
- Local PPO plans in 38 states and Puerto Rico
- Regional PPO plans in 23 states
- Private Fee-For-Service (PFFS) plans in 37 states
- PDP offerings in 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico
- Special-needs plans (SNPs) for Medicare beneficiaries with certain chronic conditions as well as SNPs for dually eligible Medicare Medicaid beneficiaries within select markets
For more information about Humana’s 2012 Medicare offerings, visit www.humana-medicare.com or call toll free 1-800-899-0441. (TTY: 711). Hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health-care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
Humana Corporate Communications
Alex Kepnes, 502-580-2990
Source: Humana Inc.