ABC Green Home press tour
Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 10 am
Orange County Great Park Irvine, CA 92618
Southern California Edison, Orange County Great Park, Green Home Builder
Southern California Edison (SCE), the Orange County Great Park and Green Home Builder magazine are holding press tours for the ABC Green Home, located at the Orange County Great Park. It's a chance for a sneak peek of this one-of-a kind home before it's officially open to visitors.The home, which will receive six green certificates by four different agencies, is the first of its kind to be built by SCE.It is being used to educate and train builders, students, industry groups and thousands of visitors, but the press gets to see it first!
Since California is seeking to make Net-Zero energy use mandatory by 2020,this model home and its sustainability template will show how to achieve Net-Zero now. There are few if any, affordable, entry-level, certified green homes being built by production homebuilders for sale in America so the home is expected to serve as a template for future housing. The ABC Green Home will be on display at the Great Park for the next year and open to the public. Eventually, it will be donated to Habitat for Humanity and given to a wounded service person.
The ABC Green Home also provides a perfect preview of the innovative spirit and technology that will be on display at the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2013, to take place October 3-13, 2013 at the Great Park. This will be the first time this world famous competition will be held outside of Washington D.C. and the ABC Home will be a key display.
ABC Green Home Press Tour
About the ABC Green Home
- The ABC Green Home is the first of its kind and demonstrates how to utilize design, planning, engineering and science to create the ideal green home. Since California is seeking to make Net-Zero energy use mandatory by 2020, this model home and its sustainability template are sponsored by SCE and Green Home Builder to show builders how they can achieve Net-Zero now.
- The ABC Green Home is the first of its kind to be built by SCE or any utility company. It showcases cutting edge technology and universal design principles that have been combined into one efficient design.
- The home was developed because there are few if any, affordable, entry-level, certified green homes being built by production homebuilders for sale in America. Nothing used in the construction is made from 'Unobtanium,' everything can be sourced at local builders' supply yards.
- Incorporating advanced design and modern sustainable products and construction techniques, the home will receive six green certificates by four different agencies,such as the NAHB National Green Building Standard, California Advanced Homes and Energy Star. We know of no other homes that have achieved this high level of sustainable certification from this many agencies.
- The home is unique because it's a high-performance house that can be built on a production level—designed to be affordable and buildable by any builder on any lot. To further demonstrate its simplicity, plans included Universal Design principles throughout the home, making it handicapped accessible.
- Students from seven Orange County high schools helped with construction as part of special educational efforts aimed at students interested in construction trades.
- After the ABC Green Home has been on display for a year at the Great Park, it will be donated to Habitat for Humanity and given to a wounded service person.
- Designed by noted Architect Manny Gonzalez of the KTGY Group, this is truly a "home of the future." It's a rare chance for the public to see these cutting edge sustainable principles at work while the home is on display at the Great Park through 2013.
- The ABC Green Home also provides a perfect preview of the innovative spirit and technology that will be on display at the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2013, which will take place October 3-13, 2013 at the Orange County Great Park. This will be the first time this world famous competition will be held outside of Washington D.C. and the home will be an important part of the educational efforts.
- The grand opening is a rare opportunity for the press to see the ABC Green Home for the first time. Tours will be led by experts from SCE and Green Home Builder who will discuss the home's green components and more. Visit www.greenhomebuildermag.com.
About Southern California Edison An Edison International (NYSE: EIX) company, Southern California Edisonis one of the nation's largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.
About Green Home Builder magazine Since 2006, Green Home Builder has published quarterly magazines in print and online by Newport Beach, Calif.-based Peninsula Publishing Inc., publishers of business management magazines for homebuilding professionals since 1990. For more information, visit www.greenhomebuildermag.com.
About the Great Park Hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over Southern California enjoy the Orange County Great Park's array of recreational and educational opportunities, including panoramic views from the iconic Great Park Balloon that rises 400 feet in the air. In addition to free sports clinics, gardening workshops, weekly Farmers Market and other community events, the Great Park hosts an annual series of special events that provide unique experiences for the entire family, including the Growing the Park: Anniversary Celebration, Great Park Pumpkin Harvest, Great Night! Family New Year's Eve, and the Flights & Sounds Summer Festival. With its approximate 1,300-acre master plan, the Great Park is the centerpiece of the redevelopment of the publicly-owned portion of the 4,700-acre former Marine Corps Air Station El Toro. For more information, please visit www.ocgp.org.
Directions to the Orange County Great Park
Note: There is currently no physical address to the Orange County Great Park. Please do not rely on GPS, online maps, or directions other than those provided below. Thanks!
/PRNewswire -- Oct. 2, 2012/
SOURCE Orange County Great Park