SURREY, British Columbia, Oct. 2, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- One Million Skates Sports Media Inc. today launched an online magazine dedicated to North America's passionate, on-the-go minor hockey families.
Called One Million Skates, the dynamic new-media publication — the first in-depth hockey family resource of its kind in Canada — offers informative articles on player development, nutrition, health and well-being, sports parenting, sports psychology, game strategy and equipment; entertaining features on family, food, travel and leisure; plus practical tips on how to manage the busy but exciting minor hockey lifestyle.
"Our primary readership consists of parents of minor hockey players aged five to 20, as well as leaders and stakeholders in the immediate and greater hockey community," said Rob Rose, president, One Million Skates Sports Media Ltd. "Our stories are designed to celebrate the game and to help players and their families, coaches, associations and communities benefit from the most rewarding minor hockey experience possible."
One Million Skates' contributors, three of whom are book authors, include a Stanley Cup champion, an internationally known expert in the field of applied sports psychology, a strength and conditioning coach, a celebrity nutrition chef, a registered dietitian, a professional organizer and efficiency expert, and a creative learning strategist, as well as a handful of feature writers who will touch on a variety of lifestyle and sport-specific topics that are important to the minor hockey community.
"The tone of our publication is positive and often humorous, yet we believe in tackling difficult or controversial subjects that affect players and the minor hockey community," said Rose, who is a former junior and collegiate hockey player from Ontario. "By providing families with informative, entertaining and inspiring minor hockey lifestyle information, tools and resources, our goal is to help young players develop positive memories and great hockey, life and social skills."
The free, subscriber-based magazine comprises the following sections:
- The Kitchen: A play on the hockey term "getting in one's kitchen" (hockey space), this department highlights high-performance nutrition, as well as healthy, fun and practical recipe ideas for quick family dinners, on-the-go snacks, seasonal cooking and special occasions.
- The Clock: Practical time management, scheduling and organization tips, as well as health and well-being articles related to the on-the-go lifestyle of busy hockey families.
- Overtime: A regular feature highlighting fun, practical and inspiring information, tips and ideas for unique off-ice activities and memorable "après hockey" leisure pursuits.
- In the Corner: One of the most challenging and dangerous spots on the ice, "In the Corner" explores topics relating to issues and controversial subjects that affect players and the minor hockey community.
- Rink Rats: A special feature highlighting the coolest and latest must-have, unique, useful and fun products for in and around the rink.
- Best Skate Forward: Articles, videos, tips, stories and how-tos on improving hockey skills, ascending the hockey ranks, game strategy and education, as well as on equipment purchase, care and maintenance.
- Pro: Information, tips and advice from leading subject experts, including sports parenting professionals, medical specialists, sports dietitians, psychologists and trainers, as well as professional players, coaches and administrators.
- Hometown Heroes: A monthly feature highlighting hometown hockey "heroes" who have made an important difference in their communities, or who have contributed to making minor hockey an extra-positive experience for players.
For more information or to subscribe to the free online magazine go to OneMIllionSkates.com.
Christie Judson, Editor and Director of Communications
Office: 604-536-3489 / Cell: 604-790-3445
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com
Source: OneMillion Skates Sports Media Inc