Newest TOS innovations drive operational efficiency and increase flexibility to help terminals meet evolving industry demands
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Navis, a part of Cargotec Corporation and the global technology standard for managing the movement of cargo through terminals, today announced at Navis World 2012 the latest release of its advanced terminal operating systems (TOS), SPARCS N4 2.4. The latest release of SPARCS N4 represents a substantial evolution from previous platform releases, resulting in increased interoperability, supportability and flexibility of the TOS for Navis customers.
“In the SPARCS N4 release 2.4, we have significantly enhanced the technology to simplify the inner workings of the SPARCS N4 platform,” says Frank Kooijman, VP of engineering, Navis. “Upgrading to or adopting SPARCS N4 2.4 ensures that terminals are able to achieve a competitive advantage as the system infrastructure is easier to manage and can be more nimble to new initiatives requiring TOS support.”
Major enhancements to SPARCS N4 2.4 include:
- Improved TOS Infrastructure: Additional functionality has been added in response to customer integration needs. Industry standard Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) using Java Message Service (JMS) will improve internal and external communications across terminal subsystems.
- Additional Customs Data: EDI improvements help terminals to provide additional data that is required for customs. These improvements will allow customers to avoid costs and penalties that they may encounter without these changes.
- Better Monitoring: Integration with Hyperic will enhance monitoring capabilities within the TOS, specifically health monitoring of terminal operations, which will improve reliability in terminals.
- Enhanced Customization Support: More efficient plug-in support will enable quicker implementation of custom functionality to support the user’s business requirements. This will make integration with other technologies easier, and enable new functionality at a lower cost and with less risk to our customers.
- Greater Flexibility, Supportability and Implementability: By embedding the JMS based ESB, communication is improved within the TOS. Enhancement of external and internal subsystems makes the TOS easier to use.
- Support for Self-Implemented TOS: By incorporating an improved installer, terminals can better facilitate self-implementation of the newest release of Navis’ TOS. This will allow them to easily upgrade to a new release as soon as it comes out.
“Navis World 2012 was a natural time to unveil the next generation of SPARCS N4,” said Bill Walsh, president and CEO, Navis. “The goal of our biennial conference is to bring together Navis users, marine terminal operators and other industry leaders to help optimize operations and reduce costs. SPARCS N4 2.4 only furthers that mission by providing the most advanced tools available today to help terminals around the globe see success in the new era of marine shipping.”
About Navis, LLC
Navis, a part of Cargotec Corporation, is the global technology standard for managing the movement of cargo through terminals, standing the test of time. Navis combines industry best practices with innovative technology and world-class services to enable our customers to maximize performance and reduce risk. Whether tracking cargo through a port, automating equipment operations, or managing multiple terminals through an integrated, centralized solution, Navis provides a holistic approach to operational optimization, providing customers with improved visibility, velocity and measurable business results. www.navis.com
About Cargotec Corporation
Cargotec improves the efficiency of cargo flows on land and at sea - wherever cargo is on the move. Cargotec's daughter brands, Hiab, Kalmar and MacGregor are recognised leaders in cargo and load handling solutions around the world. Cargotec's global network is positioned close to customers and offers extensive services that ensure the continuous, reliable and sustainable performance of equipment. Cargotec's sales totalled EUR 3.1 billion in 2011 and it employs approximately 10,500 people. Cargotec's class B shares are quoted on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki under symbol CGCBV. www.cargotec.com
Source: Navis, LLC