DALLAS, Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced two power management integrated circuits that combine a Power over Ethernet powered device (PD) manager with a DC/DC controller. The TPS23751 and TPS23752 controllers deliver high conversion efficiency over a wide load range and light load efficiency that is 20-percent higher than other solutions on the market. These ICs are designed for use in IEEE 802.3at type 2 (high-power) compliant PoE designs, used in IP phones, surveillance cameras, wireless access points, as well as various industrial applications. For more information and to order samples, visit: www.ti.com/poe-pr.
The new PoE solutions join TI's family of PD controllers, including the TPS2378 and TPS2379. The TPS2378 features IEEE 802.3 type 2 compliance and is interoperable with the UPOE Ethernet implementation, which delivers 25.5 W to 51 W over Ethernet CAT-5 cables utilizing the four-pair technique. The TPS2379 delivers higher output power capability with the addition of an external FET to control loads from 50 W to 100 W.
Key features and benefits of TPS23751 and TPS23752:
- IEEE 802.3at type 2 compliant: Both devices generate up to 25.5-W to the PoE loads.
- Highly efficient Green-mode operation: During light load conditions, both devices switch off the synchronous rectifier and go into variable frequency operation. This feature enables efficiencies greater than 80 percent at 20 percent load operation and maintains high efficiency from very light to full load.
- Integrated single-chip package saves space and component count: The circuits include all the features and functions of the TPS2378, as well as an integrated DC/DC controller to convert input voltage to 3.3-V, 5-V or 12-V.
- Deep sleep capability saves energy (TPS23572): The sleep-mode feature continues generating the maintain power signature after disabling the converter to minimize power consumption.
Tools and support
Evaluation modules (EVMs) as well as an application note, "Implementing a 60-W, End-to-End PoE System," are available to help engineers quickly evaluate and design with these devices. Designers can order the following easy-to-use modules by clicking on the following:
Availability, packaging and pricing
The new high-power PoE controllers and power manager with integrated DC/DC solutions are available to sample and purchase today from TI and its authorized network of distributors. Packaging and suggested retail pricing in 1,000-unit quantities are as follows:
- TPS23751, 16-pin TSSOP: US$1.50
- TPS23752. 20-pin TSSOP: US$1.50
- TPS2378, 8-pin SOPowerPAD: US$1.00
- TPS2379, 8-pin SOPowerPAD: US$1.00
Learn more about TI's Power over Ethernet portfolio:
- Check out TI's extensive line of Power over Ethernet solutions
- Download the Power Management guide
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community
- Read about more trends, topics, and solutions in power management on the Power House blog
- Find hundreds of reference designs for any application in the PowerLab™ Reference Design Library
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated