Top 20 teams maintain positioning from previous week; full Super 25 in today's print edition of USA TODAY and online at usatodayhss.com
MCLEAN, Va., Oct. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Manatee HS (Bradenton, FL) continues to hold down the number one spot in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national high school football editorial rankings for the fifth straight week, a week in which each of the top 20 teams also maintained their positioning.
Manatee (5-0) got two blocked punts from defensive end Blake Keller in a 56-0 shutout of crosstown rival Braden River Friday to maintain its spot at the top of the Super 25. John Curtis (6-0, River Ridge, LA) continues at No. 2 with Byrnes (7-0, Duncan, SC) at No. 3, Santa Margarita (6-0, Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) at No. 4 and 5-0 DeSoto (TX) at No. 5.
The only movement within the Super 25 this week took place at No. 22 where Nashville's Ensworth School (8-0) moved up two spots from No. 24, swapping spots with 5-1 Good Counsel (Olney, MD) which slid down two spots to No. 24.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports football rankings.
USA TODAY High School Sports
High School Football Super 25
For Week of October 8, 2012
- Manatee, Bradenton, Fla. (5-0)
- John Curtis, River Ridge, La. (6-0)
- Byrnes, Duncan, S.C. (7-0)
- Santa Margarita, Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. (6-0)
- DeSoto, Texas (5-0)
- Bellevue, Wash. (6-0)
- De La Salle, Concord, Calif. (6-0)
- Katy, Texas (5-0)
- Camden County, Kingsland, Ga. (6-0)
- Butler, Matthews, N.C. (7-0)
- Colerain, Cincinnati (7-0)
- Vista Murrieta, Murrieta, Calif. (6-0)
- Eden Prairie, Minn. (6-0)
- Trinity, Louisville (7-0)
- Goose Creek, S.C. (7-0)
- Hoover, Ala. (6-0)
- St. Ignatius, Cleveland (7-0)
- Bergen Catholic, Oradell, N.J. (4-1)
- Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas (5-1)
- Coppell, Texas (5-0)
- Carmel, Ind. (8-0)
- Ensworth School, Nashville (8-0)
- La Salle, Wyndmoor, Pa. (6-0)
- Good Counsel, Olney, Md. (5-1)
- Dr. Phillips, Orlando (6-0)
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service U.S. Presswire, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group