Humana expands veteran initiative as the new Medicare Advantage plan provider for VFW
LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies, has entered into an exclusive agreement with Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), the nation’s largest organization of war veterans as well as the oldest major veterans’ organization in the U.S. As part of this agreement, Humana becomes the exclusive national Medicare Advantage (MA) plan carrier for VFW.
Humana can now market MA health plans to the organization’s 700,000+ members and their spouses who are eligible for Medicare, and provide guidance for those who will be aging into Medicare.
“Humana has long been dedicated to providing high quality health care coverage to our nation’s veterans,” said Tim McClain, President of Government and Other Businesses for Humana. “Our agreement with VFW is yet another step in furthering our commitment to providing veterans with the tools, information and support they need to achieve lifelong well-being. We understand the unique needs of the veteran community and our 25-plus years of experience with Medicare programs will enable us to help many senior or disabled VFW members and their spouses.”
“Veterans’ health and wellness concerns continue to remain a top priority for VFW,” said Bob Greene, VFW Quartermaster General. “Through this agreement with Humana we will be able to make quality health care more accessible and affordable to our valued members.”
As part of the agreement Humana will offer numerous services to VFW members, which will provide better access to health information. These will include:
- Hosting Medicare seminars during the upcoming Medicare Annual Election Period (Oct. 15 through Dec. 7).
- Conducting educational seminars throughout the year to inform VFW members of all their Medicare options.
- Providing VFW members with Humana’s unique access to Medicare Advantage information and enrollment capabilities by incorporating web-based tools, in-home appointments, call centers, educational seminars, and self-enrollment.
Humana Veterans efforts span a variety of initiatives that support veterans, including:
- Making significant progress on its pledge to hire 1,000 military veterans and/or their spouses by late 2014. Humana has hired approximately 800-plus veterans and/or their spouses since August of 2011.
- Building a partnership with the MilSpouse eMentor program, which provides advice and support to military families through mentor relationships.
- Donating $1 million to the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities, a national program that offers cutting-edge training in entrepreneurship and small-business management at no cost to post-9/11 veterans.
About Humana Veterans
Humana Veterans, headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a subsidiary of Humana Inc. The company was formed in 2007 to develop solutions to veterans’ health care issues. It provides an organizational structure that is flexible, agile and responsive to the emerging requirements of the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and the veterans who rely on VA services.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. is a nonprofit veterans’ service organization composed of combat veterans and those currently serving in uniform. Founded in 1899 and chartered by Congress in 1936, the VFW is the nation's largest organization of war veterans and its oldest major veterans’ organization. With 1.4 million members located in more than 7,300 VFW Posts worldwide, “NO ONE DOES MORE FOR VETERANS.” The VFW and its Auxiliaries are dedicated to veterans’ service, legislative advocacy, and military and community service programs nationwide. For more information or to join, visit their website at www.vfw.org.
Humana Corporate Communications
Alex Kepnes, 502-580-2990
Source: Humana Inc.