LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW 2013) – Driving digital entertainment innovation, Rovi Corporation (Nasdaq:ROVI) at CES 2013 is showcasing new and in-market solutions designed to connect consumers to great digital entertainment experiences anywhere they choose. Building upon its deep expertise in digital entertainment discovery, delivery, display and monetization, Rovi is paving the way for a new generation of IP-based video services that it has coined 'Entertainment Unbound'. A natural evolution to TV Everywhere and Multi-Screen Video initiatives, Entertainment Unbound aims to define a next-generation entertainment experience that supports broader device access, more content choices and an array of consumption models. Importantly, Entertainment Unbound also describes an enhanced entertainment experience that is optimized for the viewing environment, as well as the individual tastes and needs of the user.
"At CES, Rovi is showcasing a number of solutions that are designed to streamline content access, improve video quality, drive advanced multi-screen interactivity, and move the industry one-step closer to an era of Entertainment Unbound," said Matt Milne, EVP of products, sales and marketing for Rovi. "Rovi is also hosting an Entertainment Unbound concept demonstration that looks at a future of TV beyond the living room in which devices, formats, operating systems and even broadcast schedules no longer dictate the entertainment experience."
Rovi's show news and demonstrations reflect the company's continued efforts to connect people to great digital entertainment experiences by:
Streamlining Content Access
- Bridging cable and consumer electronics to power IPTV, Rovi has announced that it is developing a new Internet Protocol (IP) software platform, Rovi Services Gateway, that would enable pay-TV service providers to cost effectively introduce IP-based, multi-screen services and applications to their cable ecosystem. The platform is designed to be deployed as a new service layer in the home that allows cable services and CE devices to connect, communicate and interact with each other.
- Rovi's expertise and capabilities across content creation, access and playback are helping to further accelerate UltraViolet in the marketplace. DivX® DRM, used with the company's adaptive streaming format, has been approved by the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE) for streaming use within the UltraViolet ecosystem. In addition, Rovi is providing a range of services to enable some of the first UltraViolet-compatible retail services.
- Designed to enable consumers to easily create a personalized library of favorite Web video, the new DivX Stash software acts like a DVR for the Web. Consumers "stash", or bookmark, online programming that may be organized into playlists and later accessed or shared from mobile electronic devices.
Improving Video Quality
- Helping improve video quality, Rovi unveiled plans to drive HEVC rollout through the introduction of new MainConcept® encoders and the release of an update to DivX device certification. Rovi also announced continued industry support for DivX Plus Streaming®, the company's advanced adaptive streaming solution, which was selected by Mei-Ah and China Mobile to power a new mobile video-on-demand service.
Advancing Multi-Screen Interactivity
- Rovi unveiled a Multi-Screen Service designed to enable device, mobile, and web application developers to add multi-device and multi-user capabilities in a consistent way. The technology is planned to be deployed to power the pairing of one or more devices across networks, such as apps or games where phones and tablets control the primary screen experience.
- Rovi is also demonstrating its Rovi Advertising Service powering advanced campaigns on a range of devices and showcasing how its Rovi Advertising Network is delivering a unique inventory, receptive consumers, and billions of impressions a month across the multiple screens that now comprise the digital entertainment experience.
As part of its vision of the evolution of entertainment, Rovi has introduced the Rovi Insights Series, an ongoing report series that provides timely and topical information on the state of digital entertainment and its future. Now available as a downloadable interactive application and in print, the first edition highlights Rovi's vision of Entertainment Unbound. More information is available at www.rovicorp.com/insights.
Rovi will be hosting private meetings and product demonstrations for industry executives during the CES tradeshow in Las Vegas, January 8-11 at Caesars Palace. In addition, Rovi executives will be speaking to a number of topics during the week:
- Rovi's SVP of Worldwide Advertising, Jeff Siegel, will be speaking on Second-Screen Experiences and Revenue Opportunities at the CONNECTIONS Summit at CES, Jan. 8 at 11:30 a.m. PT in the Las Vegas Convention Center South Hall, Rooms S204-205.
- Bob Shallow, SVP of Sales and Marketing for Rovi, will speak to Inventing TV 2.0 at the Digital Hollywood Summit at 1:30 p.m. PT on Jan. 9 in the Las Vegas Convention Center North Hall, Room N260.
- Rovi's Gerald Hensley, VP, Worldwide Entertainment, will be speaking on the Impact on Entertainment Industries of Cloud Computing at Content in the Cloud at 4:00 p.m. on Jan. 9 in the Las Vegas Convention Center North Hall, Room N262.
For an overview of Rovi demonstrations during CES and to access the latest show announcements, visit Rovi's online press kit at http://www.rovicorp.com/dm/rovi-at-ces2013.htm.
About Rovi Corporation
Rovi powers the discovery, delivery, display and monetization of digital entertainment. With innovative technology solutions for consumer electronics manufacturers, service providers, content producers, advertisers, retailers and websites, Rovi connects people and the entertainment they love. The company holds over 5,000 issued or pending patents worldwide and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California. More information about Rovi can be found at rovicorp.com.
The Rovi Corporation logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=6482
Forward Looking Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words "will" or "is expected to," or similar words that describe the Company's or its management's future plans, objectives, or goals, are "forward-looking statements" and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of the Company to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in the Company's most recent report on Form 10-Q for the period ended September 30, 2012 and such other documents as are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time (available at www.sec.gov). The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.
CONTACT: For more information, contact: Chris Taylor Rovi Corporation +1 (408) 562-3077 Chris.D.Taylor@rovicorp.com