ELLICOTT CITY, Md., Jan. 29, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Investment Program Association (IPA), a national trade association supporting the Direct Investments industry, today announced the initiation of a Direct Investments certification program designed for financial advisors and support staff in the broker-dealer and sponsor communities. The IPA also expanded its education offering with the third in a series of e-learning courses, Investing in Non-Traded Real Estate Investment Trusts.
"Education is a central pillar of the IPA's mission," said Kevin Hogan, President and Chief Executive Officer of the IPA. "The initiatives announced today represent months of hard work to improve knowledge and raise understanding of the benefits and risks of Direct Investments among brokers, advisors and their clients. We will continue to expand our robust curriculum with courses that are easily accessible and academically rigorous, and to make them available to our members."
New Proficiency Certification Series
As part of a longer range initiative, the IPA today announced the launch of the inaugural certification course in the IPA Alternative Investment Proficiency Certification Series covering non-traded Real Estate Investment Trusts. It is expected that the proficiency certification series will also include certifications in business development companies and oil & gas and equipment leasing programs.
Upon completion of the non-traded REIT proficiency certification series, it's expected that participants will be able to:
- Confidently address client management needs;
- Integrate REITs into a broader portfolio construction process;
- Identify appropriate clients for REITs by understanding the appropriate client profiles;
- Explain the tax advantages of non-traded REITs;
- Articulate best practices of advisor peers that can be used in their firm;
- Confidently explain the four stages of the REIT lifecycle;
- Complete an initial level of financial analysis;
- Explain the primary real estate asset classes.
Third E-Learning course: Investing in Non-Traded Real Estate Investment Trusts.
First introduced to IPA members in September 2010, these e-learning courses are designed to expand comprehensive education about Direct Investments with sophisticated content aimed at advisors and support staff in the broker-dealer and sponsor communities.
This third course joins two others previously developed in conjunction with the American College:
- Fundamentals of Direct Investment, and
- Introduction to Portfolio Construction and Management with Direct Investments.
Upon completion of this new course, participants will be able to:
- Confidently articulate the basic components and structure of non-traded REITs;
- Identify and communicate the prototypical life cycle of non-Traded REITs;
- Leverage non-traded REITs while constructing diversified portfolios;
- Assess the investing environment for real estate assets;
- Analyze the financial considerations of a non-traded REIT by performing basic REIT accounting functions;
- Understand the taxation of REITs and the investor benefits that accrue;
- Identify the investing risks of REITs and the appropriate considerations for identifying suitable investors;
- Determine how to apply both non-traded and traded REITs in a portfolio.
About The Investment Program Association
The Investment Program Association (IPA) was formed in 1985 to provide effective national leadership for the Direct Investment industry. Since inception, the IPA has successfully championed the growth of Direct Investment products, which have increased in popularity with financial professionals and investors alike. Today, the IPA is the leading advocate for the inclusion of Direct Investments in a diversified investment portfolio. The mission of the IPA is to advocate for Direct Investments through education.
Follow @IPADirectInvest on Twitter to stay abreast of IPA and industry news.
CONTACT: Media contact: John McInerney Makovsky 212.508.9628 firstname.lastname@example.orgSource:Investment Program Association