Detroit, Feb. 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- As Winter Storm Nemo begins its assault on the Northeastern United States, OnStar Advisors are poised to assist any OnStar subscriber in the event of a weather-related emergency.
According to the National Weather Service, as much as one to two feet of snow is forecasted from the New York City metropolitan area to Maine, with localized heavier amounts possible. This, coupled with wind gusts as high as 75 mph, is likely to cause hazardous driving conditions. Coastal flooding is also possible from Boston northward.
Residents and those in the affected area are strongly urged to stay home during these dangerous snow conditions and take measures to prepare themselves. Specifically, have a winter-ready disaster kit stocked with such things as rock salt, sand, a small shovel, flashlight, batteries, a powered cell phone, and a blanket in addition to typical emergency supplies for your home and vehicle.
"One of the major concerns with a winter storm of this magnitude is its ability to disrupt heat, power, transportation and communications systems, and potentially leaving thousands of people in the cold," said Mary Ann Adams, OnStar Crisis Incident manager. "We are here to help before, during and after the storm."
There are more than a million active subscribers in the affected areas, all of whom have access to the company's Crisis Assist services via OnStar's red emergency or blue button to connect with a live Advisor. Once connected, OnStar Advisors can provide subscribers with:
· Emergency services: Advisors can connect and direct emergency responders to the exact location of a subscriber in need using OnStar's embedded cellular system and Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite technology.
· Routing assistance: Advisors can provide alternate routes, evacuation routes, and directions to hospitals, hotels or shelters.
· Central point of contact for assistance: Advisors can provide crisis information and centralized assistance when subscribers need, for example, weather updates, hotel accommodations or help reporting power outages or road closures.
· Keeping subscribers connected: Subscribers without power in their homes and who are unable to recharge their cell phones or are having trouble getting cellular service can use OnStar Hands-Free Calling to stay connected and reach loved ones.
· Reporting new incidents: OnStar encourages subscribers to be Good Samaritans and contact an Advisor when they witness a dangerous situation or someone with an emergency need, so an Advisor can inform public safety officials.
OnStar has relationships with more than 6,000 9-1-1 Call Centers, allowing Advisors to assist in getting quick, localized assistance in any type of emergency situation. For more information on OnStar Crisis Assist, visit www.onstar.com.
OnStar, LLC (OnStar) is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM Holdings LLC ("GM"). Along with its affiliate Shanghai OnStar Telematics Co. Ltd (a joint venture involving OnStar, Shanghai General Motors Co., Ltd (SGM) and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC)), OnStar serves more than 6.4 million subscribers in the U.S, Canada and China. OnStar is a provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology and is available on 39 GM branded 2013 model year vehicles. OnStar's key services include automatic crash response, stolen vehicle assistance, remote door unlock, turn-by-turn navigation, vehicle diagnostics and hands-free calling.
CONTACT: Cheryl McCarron OnStar Communications 313-670-4529 firstname.lastname@example.org Synaptic Digital, New York email@example.com Kameya Shows OnStar Communications 313-779-4627 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Synaptic Digital a Definition 6 Company