SAN DIEGO, March 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Healthyroads, Inc., the population health management subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated, (ASH), has announced the winners of its third annual Healthyroads Fit Company Award® program. Fifteen companies were recognized with either gold or silver distinctions for their cutting edge leadership in the area of employee preventive care and wellness. They were also honored for setting positive examples that inspire other businesses to reduce the health risk factors that contribute to rising healthcare costs.
According to a recent study conducted by Truven Health Analytics and Emory University, and supported by Healthyroads, the top ten risk factors that predict employee health costs include obesity, physical inactivity, depression, tobacco use, high blood glucose, high blood pressure, high stress, high total cholesterol, high alcohol use and nutrition.
"We congratulate these employers for their foresight and determination to help bend the cost curve in employee health care," said American Specialty Health CEO and Chairman George DeVries. "Today's wellness and population health improvement programs can provide a solid business strategy with numerous benefits, including decreased medical utilization, reduced sick days and increased productivity. Each of these companies should be extremely proud of its efforts to create a work environment that promotes and supports a culture of health."
The Healthyroads Fit Company Award winners include:
- PIH Health(Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital), Whittier, CA
- The GEO Group, Inc., Boca Raton, FL
- AMVAC Chemical Corporation, Newport Beach, CA
- Keenan & Associates, Torrance, CA
- SSAB Americas, Lisle, IL
- County of Mendocino, Ukiah, CA
- Utica National Insurance Group, New Hartford, NY
- JT3 LLC, Las Vegas, NV
- Lenovo, Morrisville, NC
- Huntington Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- Sigma-Aldrich, St. Louis, MS
- Southern States Cooperative, Richmond, VA
- Broadridge Financial Solutions, Lake Success, NY
Entrants were judged on a point scale according to their commitment to best practices in worksite wellness, unique or creative ideas that encourage a culture of health at the workplace, clarity and consistency of employee health promotion and communications, and participation and engagement levels of their employees in wellness initiatives.
Judges for the Healthyroads Fit Company Awards program included:
- Dr. Andrew Crighton, chief medical officer, Prudential Financial;
- Dr. Raymond Fabius, chief medical officer, TRUVEN Health Analytics;
- Dr. Leba Shallenberger, manager, health education and promotion, ExxonMobil;
- Dr. Cathy Baase, global director of health, Dow Chemical;
- Dr. Douglas Metz, chief health services officer and executive vice president, American Specialty Health; and
- Dr. Kenneth R. Pelletier, clinical professor of medicine at the University of Arizona and UCSF Schools of Medicine and vice president of health affairs, American Specialty Health.
About American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH)
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is a national health services organization that provides fitness, exercise and healthy aging programs, population health solutions and specialty health care programs for health plans, Medicare Advantage Plans and/or employer groups. Headquartered in San Diego, CA, with offices in Dallas, TX, Indianapolis, IN and Columbia, SC, ASH has more than 1,000 employees and administers services for more than 32 million members nationwide. Other products offered through ASH and its subsidiaries include Silver&Fit®, Active&Fit®, ExerciseRewardsTM and others. For more information about ASH, visit www.ASHCompanies.com, follow us on Twitter at @ASHCompanies, or call 800-848-3555. Follow Healthyroads on Twitter at @Healthyroads, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Healthyroads and YouTube at www.youtube.com/Healthyroads. Follow Silver&Fit on Twitter at @SilverandFit, Instagram at @SilverandFit, YouTube at www.youtube.com/silverandfit and Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/SilverandFit .
The Healthyroads logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=4229
The American Specialty Health logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=14503
CONTACT: Lisa Freeman 310-390-3070 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source:American Specialty Health