PASADENA, Calif., April 11, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 40,000 community autism supporters are expected to unite for a single cause at the 11th annual Los Angeles Walk Now for Autism Speaks at the Pasadena Rose Bowl on Saturday, April 20, 2013. Last year's LA Autism Walk raised $1.8M and was named the highest fundraising autism walk in the country. The 2013 LA Autism Walk has surpassed the $1M mark thus far, with the goal to raise $2M.
Powered by volunteers and families with loved ones on the autism spectrum, this fundraising effort generates vital funds for autism research and raises awareness about the increasing prevalence of autism, and the need for increased research funding to combat this complex disorder.
Notable walk attendees will include:
- HOLLY ROBINSON PEETE: actress, co-author of My Brother Charlie and Autism Speaks National Board Member
- ED ASNER: actor, well known for playing Lou Grant in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, as well as the main character in UP
- PHILLIP PALMER: ABC7 Eyewitness News Anchor
- GABRIELA TEISSIER, TERESA QUEVEDO: Univision 34 Los Angeles news anchors, both have children on the autism spectrum
- TISHA CAMPBELL-MARTIN: actress, well known for playing "Gina" in the show Martin
- KRYSTEN RITTER: actress, well known for playing "Chloe" in Don't Trust The B In Apt. 23
- JOE MANTEGNA: actor, currently plays Agent David Rossi on Criminal Minds with well known voice roles including mob boss Fat Tony in The Simpsons
- MAX BURKHOLDER: actor, currently plays Max Braverman, whose character has Asperger's syndrome, on Parenthood
- CHARLENE TILTON: actress, well known for playing "Lucy" in Dallas
- GARY COLE: actor and autism advocate
- CHRIS STILLS: musician and son of music legend Stephen Stills
- KURT YAEGER: actor, currently plays "Greg the Peg" on Sons of Anarchy
For a tenth year, Palmer will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.
Registration begins at 8 a.m. and entertainment and stage programs begin at 9 a.m. Walk starts will begin at 9 a.m. and will continue on a rolling basis every ten minutes through 11 a.m.
The LA Autism Walk is presented by Vons.
ABOUT WALK NOW FOR AUTISM SPEAKS: Walk Now for Autism Speaks is North America's largest grassroots autism walk. The 2012 LA Autism Walk hosted 35,000 people, raised $1.8M at the Pasadena Rose Bowl and was the highest fundraising autism walk in the country. http://www.facebook.com/AutismSpeaks.LosAngeles?fref=ts http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1037427
ABOUT AUTISM SPEAKS: Autism Speaks is the nation's largest autism advocacy organization, dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, funding research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism, and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. www.autismspeaks.org
ABOUT AUTISM: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), autism now affects about 1 in every 88 American children, including 1 in 54 boys. Autism is a complex condition that affects a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships.
CONTACT: Media Contact - Kait Mack, email@example.com, 413-204-3439
Source: Autism Speaks Los Angeles