OVERLAND PARK, Kan., April 25, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Black & Veatch is once again the top U.S. engineering and design company for telecommunications, according to a just-released study by Engineering News-Record (ENR). This is the fourth consecutive year that Black & Veatch has achieved the number one ranking in telecommunications.
In ENR's Top 500 Design Firms list, Black & Veatch is also ranked 3rd in Power, 3rd in Sewer/Wastewater and 7th in Water. The company is ranked 14th overall on the Top 500 list.
The company's industry-recognized work in 2012 further strengthened Black & Veatch's position as the leading brand in Critical Human Infrastructure™. Global business lines experienced rising market demand in 2012, and there was a continued increase in expanded scope delivery, where the company provides construction, construction management and/or procurement services in addition to engineering design.
To meet the demand for its services, employment increased 11 percent in 2012 to more than 10,000 professionals. Black & Veatch's overall business growth has resulted in a need for additional professionals, especially in engineering and technical-related fields. The company is hiring in many of its 100 locations worldwide, including more than 1,000 job openings.
"We achieved a record-setting year in 2012 and have strong momentum to continue our growth in 2013 and beyond," said Len Rodman, Chairman, President and CEO. "As global need for the energy, water, telecommunications and security services that we provide increases, we will continue to expand our capabilities to meet the complex challenges our clients face."
ENR is an industry publication of the McGraw-Hill Companies. ENR provides news, analysis, commentary and data that construction industry professionals use to do their jobs more effectively. It has been published since 1917. The Top 500 Rankings are based on revenues. Black & Veatch's total revenue for 2012 was $3.3 billion.
- Black & Veatch's telecommunications division has grown from approximately 300 people to about 1,500 in less than four years. The division is also growing geographically, operating out of 20 office locations across North America, as well as in India and Thailand. Growth is resulting from wireless carriers meeting the continued demand for faster speeds and broader coverage and the need for utilities to further automate their networks with digital technology.
-- The division was selected in 2012 for the decommissioning of Sprint's iDEN network. Black & Veatch also was selected to implement San Diego Gas & Electric's Smart Grid Communications program, one of the largest private network developments in the smart grid sector.
- The company's energy business is experiencing strong growth as it continues to expand in the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia and South Africa. The energy business provides projects for natural gas, natural gas processing, liquefied natural gas, fossil fuel and renewable power generation, nuclear and power delivery.
-- The energy business is providing proprietary PRICO technology for the world's first floating LNG unit and continued growth in LNG projects in China.
-- Energy also was selected in 2012 for a $627 million prime engineering, procurement and construction role for Alliant Energy's air quality control retrofit project in Wisconsin.
- The company's water business continued its growth in 2012 with key projects in water and wastewater treatment facilities, mineral extraction and asset management. This includes ongoing water pressure management work for Hong Kong's Water Supplies District.
-- The water business also is working on a large water supply project for a mining effort in Chile and a water supply project in Midland, Texas, that will deliver 20 million gallons of water a day to 50,000 area homes and businesses increasing system resilience and addressing the community's long term water needs.
-- Black & Veatch is also helping communities protect and improve local waterways and comply with regulatory obligations by leading a program in Memphis, Tenn., to help reduce sanitary sewer overflows and by helping to provide a cleaner water environment by implementing biological nutrient removal at the Sacramento Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- The company's federal services division continues to provide a wide range of services for the U.S. Government. In 2012, the division was awarded a five-year contract in Ukraine through the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. The work includes the purchase and installation of infectious disease diagnostic equipment in Armenia used to analyze and confirm potential anthrax outbreaks.
-- In 2012, the division was selected for work with the Washington Headquarters Services that manages the Pentagon and 10 million square feet of office space in the Washington, DC area. Black & Veatch is also completing a system to inventory and track strategic tactical nuclear weapons that are scheduled for dismantlement. The division also continued its work in Afghanistan where it has more than doubled the amount of power available in the country.
- The management consulting division was successful in 2012 in advising clients on business and technical issues. The division provided a transportation and storage analysis for a major Oklahoma gas and electric utility and state regulators. This analysis forecasts future pipeline gas capacity needs for the state.
-- The division publishes widely cited publications and reports including three Strategic Directions reports for the electric, water and natural gas industries and its Energy Market Perspective that offers utility clients insights into how key issues, such as regulation, legislation, technology, fuel supply, fuel prices and economic growth, will impact energy markets.
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building Critical Human Infrastructure™ in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2012 were US$3.3 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and in social media.
CONTACT: Media Contact Information: PATRICK MACELROY + 1 212 973 1339 X18 P + 1 516 477 0914 m Macelroyp@bv.com 24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE +1 866 496 9149
Source:Black & Veatch Holding Company