MONMOUTH JUNCTION, N.J., May 1, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CytoSorbents Corporation (OTCBB:CTSO), a critical care-focused company using blood purification to treat life-threatening illnesses, announced that medGadget has published an online exclusive interview with CytoSorbents' Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Phillip Chan. In the interview, Dr. Chan explains how its unique CytoSorb® blood filter targets the prevention or treatment of organ failure, the leading cause of death in the intensive care unit today despite the best medical treatment.
Topics covered in the interview:
- How an excessive immune response and the overproduction of cytokines, or "cytokine storm," can lead to severe uncontrolled inflammation and failure of vital organs in life-threatening illnesses such as sepsis, burn injury, trauma, lung injury and many others seen in the intensive care unit (ICU)
- How ICU doctors currently lack the therapies to prevent or treat inflammation and organ failure in critically-ill patients, leading to a risk of death that often exceeds 30%, protracted ICU stays at a cost of $2,000-3,000 per day in the ICU, and a staggering cost of $80-90 billion to the US economy each year
- A description of CytoSorbents' blood purification technology based upon its proprietary biocompatible porous polymer beads covered by 32 issued US patents and multiple applications pending and how these beads are packed into the CytoSorb® blood filters
- Why CytoSorb® is unique as the only specifically approved cytokine filter in the European Union, how it works, and how it has been clinically proven to reduce cytokine storm in critically-ill patients while imparting positive clinical benefits including survival, in high risk patients in a post-hoc analysis
- CytoSorbents' progress in selling CytoSorb® via its direct sales force in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and the strategy to accelerate revenues with sales to distributors or partners in other countries in the European Union and those outside the E.U. that will accept European regulatory approval
- Plans to conduct a pivotal trial in the US in sepsis, with the goal of seeking US regulatory approval for CytoSorb® by the 2016-2017 timeframe with positive trial data
- A brief overview of some additional and exciting blood purification applications under development for the porous bead technology including HemoDefend, designed to improve the safety and quality of more than 100 million transfused blood products administered each year, and ContrastSorb, designed to prevent IV contrast induced kidney damage in the more than 10 million high risk CT scans and interventional radiology procedures, such as coronary artery stent placement, each year
The full interview can be found at: http://www.medgadget.com/2013/04/exclusive-interview-with-cytosorbents-ceo-phillip-chan.html
Additional information is available for download on the Company's website: http://www.cytosorbents.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements intended to qualify for the safe harbor from liability established by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements in this press release are not promises or guarantees and are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause our actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. These statements are based on management's current expectations and assumptions and are naturally subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances. We caution you not to place undue reliance upon any such forward-looking statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by the statements herein. Risk factors are detailed in the Company's Form 10-K filed with the SEC on April 3, 2013, which is available at http://www.sec.gov.
CONTACT: Company Contact: CytoSorbents Corporation Dr. Phillip Chan Chief Executive Officer (732) 329-8885 ext. *823 firstname.lastname@example.org Investor Contact: Alliance Advisors, LLC Alan Sheinwald (914) 669-0222 email@example.com Valter Pinto (914) 669-0222 x201 firstname.lastname@example.org Media Contact: JQA Partners Jules Abraham (917) 885-7378 email@example.comSource:CytoSorbents