SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Many women look forward to the day that they'll become a mother, but some might not be quite as excited about trading in their hot wheels for a more family-friendly minivan. Fortunately, Edmunds.com, the premier resource for car shopping and automotive information, offers a new list of alternative family cars for mothers who aren't cut out of the minivan mold.
"There's a very vocal contingent of moms out there who are most definitely not on the minivan bandwagon," says Edmunds.com Editor Warren Clarke. "These women would rather get behind the wheel of a vehicle that goes about its family-friendly work in a less obvious way. For them, it's important that their vehicle choices reflect their personalities, in addition to handling all the chores that come with parenting."
If you're a mom (or if you know a mom) who can relate to breaking through the minivan stereotype, Edmunds.com recommends the following vehicles:
- BMW X3 – The X3 offers driving-enthusiast moms a compact crossover that boasts a truly sporting experience while offering enough spaciousness and all the amenities needed to accommodate offspring.
- Ford Flex - The Flex's distinctively boxy profile has an alternative bent that may make it appealing to hipster moms who still like to rock out to Alt Nation on Sirius/XM.
- Kia Optima - The Kia Optima brings something to the table that many family sedans don't have: genuine sex appeal. Its assertive sheet metal turns heads, and makes it a great choice for moms who like being in the spotlight.
- Toyota Prius V - The Prius V is a great fit for hypermiling moms who like the idea of saving gas while doing their bit for the environment. The V's hybrid powertrain helps it manage a stellar 44 city/40 highway mpg, making it a top pick in its class for fuel economy.
- Volvo XC60 - All moms value safety, but for the mom who's more safety-conscious than most there's the Volvo XC60. It earned a perfect five stars in government crash tests and offers a seemingly endless list of safety features.
Edmunds.com offers a full list of 10 cars for moms who hate minivans at http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-vehicles-for-moms-who-hate-minivans.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc.
Edmunds.com is a car-shopping Web site committed to helping people find the car that meets their every need. Almost 18 million visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next new or used car. Whether you're at the dealership or on the go, we're always by your side with our acclaimed Edmunds.com iPhone and iPad apps and our Edmunds.com Android App. Our comprehensive car reviews, shopping tips, photos, videos and feature stories offer a friendly and authentic approach to the automotive world. We're based in Santa Monica, Calif., but you can connect with us from anywhere by following @Edmunds on Twitter or by becoming a fan of Edmunds.com on Facebook.