ATLANTA, May 31, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Technology is complex and the speed at which it changes has left many businesses struggling to keep pace. Cbeyond Inc. (Nasdaq:CBEY), the technology ally to small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs), is offering its top five tips to help businesses address this challenge. The guidelines, part of Cbeyond's "Technology Ally" best practices series, are designed to help SMBs sustain existing technology infrastructure while realizing the full potential of their IT investments.
To optimize technology systems, Cbeyond recommends the following five best practices:
- Simplify Complexity: To start, SMBs should use a roadmap to identify technology and define its value to the business. Classify technology within three main categories: commodity, core or strategic. This provides a simplified overview of the company's technology and a better understanding of which particular technologies are mission critical in helping move the business forward and remain innovative.
- Understand the Importance of Business Continuity: There is a huge difference between disaster recovery and business continuity. Business continuity is much more than backing up files; it is how to keep a business up and running. To achieve this, businesses need to maintain the flow of information and stay connected to employees, vendors and customers. Correctly understanding business continuity enables a company to have a plan in place to maintain operations during an unexpected event.
- Build the Ideal Environment for IT: Examine whether your company's infrastructure presents the ideal environment to ensure optimal use of technology. Key considerations include physical maintenance, adequate security, access control to stored data and necessary power supplies. Establish and adhere to a regular maintenance schedule to extend longevity. Or, in other words, care for IT in the way you would care for your car.
- Be Proactive: Businesses need to identify the best resources and time to monitor general IT issues before they become problematic. Similar to an annual physical checkup, business technology requires the attention and proactive action of subject matter experts who can spot and predict key technology issues before they impact the business adversely.
- Share the Burden: Don't spend unnecessary internal resources focusing on IT needs. Embrace a technology ally that can handle complexity and offer a package of technology services to meet your needs. Added time and an extended shelf life will help you focus on becoming more competitive and moving the business forward.
"For most small and mid-sized businesses, the focus should be on customer service and revenue growth rather than managing internal IT issues," said Jeff Uphues, vice president of sales at Cbeyond. "With the right partner, companies can shift the burden of managing IT systems and spend their time in a more strategic manner - serving customers to grow their business."
To learn more about Cbeyond's cloud and network offerings, and its entire suite of cloud and network communication services, visit http://cbeyond.com/why-cbeyond/our-technology. To view a social media version of this press release, please click here.
Cbeyond, Inc. (Nasdaq:CBEY), a cloud and communications services provider, is the technology ally for small and mid-sized business. Our private, proactively-managed IP network connects customers to voice, data and enterprise applications hosted in our award-winning cloud data centers. Since 1999, Cbeyond has served the unmet needs of businesses through technology and service innovation. We were the first company to build an all-IP network specifically for small businesses and among the few to offer consultative sales and service professionals onsite. Today, our expanded portfolio helps customers reduce the burden of outlaying capital and manpower to manage infrastructure. Creating an exceptional customer experience is in our DNA. It's why more than a third of our approximately 60,000 customers come from referrals. For more information on Cbeyond, visit www.cbeyond.com and follow Cbeyond on Twitter: www.twitter.com/cbeyond.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Helga Ojinmah (678) 370-2243 firstname.lastname@example.org