MUMBAI, India, June 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Black & Veatch has expanded the expertise offered to clients with the appointment of G. "Satya" Sathiamoorthy as Managing Director for Black & Veatch in India. Satya's role, a new post, is central to developing Black & Veatch's business in the country. He will work with clients on energy, telecommunications and water issues.
Satya joins the company with more than 25 years of industry experience and is also Vice President of the International Project Management Association's Greater Mumbai Chapter. He holds a bachelor of engineering degree from Madurai Kamraj University in Tamil Nadu, India.
"Satya brings a thorough understanding of the country's critical issues, which will help ensure the services Black & Veatch offers, and the way they are delivered, are aligned with the needs of Indian clients," said Len Rodman, Chairman, President and CEO for Black & Veatch.
"In the next five years India is forecast to spend US$ one trillion on infrastructure. Great strides have been made in the past decade but there remains much work to do in the areas of energy, water and communications," said Satya.
Investments needed include an additional 80 gigawatts of thermal power generation and expanded oil and gas services to drive economic growth. In addition, advancements in solar, wind and hydro energy are needed to balance the fuel mix to meet growing electricity demand. The extension of broadband and data services for the country's 750 million network users is also vital to improving communications. Satya added that there are also ongoing efforts needed in water and wastewater treatment and distribution that will have a dramatic impact on health and welfare in the country.
Satya said the company plans to continue to leverage its global expertise in design, engineering, procurement of equipment and construction. Black & Veatch will also partner with Indian companies to deliver complete project solutions that benefit the Indian economy and create jobs throughout the country.
- Black & Veatch has been providing engineering, consulting and construction services in India since 1969. The company further expanded its expertise in the region in the mid-1990s when it acquired Binnie & Partners.
- Since 2003 Black & Veatch has had permanent offices in Pune and Mumbai. Today, the company has about 400 professionals working in these locations.
- The company provided design services for the 2,400 MW Samalkot Combined Cycle power plant. Samalkot is the largest natural gas-fueled facility in India. Black & Veatch also supported the design of a gas-insulated substation and high-voltage cable system associated with the project.
- Black & Veatch has designed more than 90 percent of India's sulfur capacity, including the sulfur processing facilities at the Jamnagar Refining Complex, the largest refinery in the world.
- The company also provided project management and conceptual design services for the planned Sasan and Krishnapatnam power projects. The projects are among the largest multi-unit coal plants in the world.
- Black & Veatch performed a study of operation and maintenance in partnership with the overseas consultancy arm of Thames Water and TCE Consulting Engineers. The project enhanced water supply services with increased efficiency, reduced costs and improved customer service within Mumbai, India's commercial capital.
- The company also developed a master plan for water supply and sewage disposal for the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewage Board. It also has applied expertise to a Bombay Sewage Disposal Project.
- As one of the company's global design centers, the Mumbai office has helped deliver water projects in Australia, Chile, Singapore, the UK and the U.S.
- Black & Veatch's energy professionals in India have brought expertise to Egypt, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines.
- As part of Black & Veatch's global expansion the company is currently looking to recruit engineers with a range of experience across a number of technical specialties.
- Please click here to download a high-resolution photograph of G. "Satya" Sathiamoorthy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/black_veatch/8901643243/
Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building Critical Human Infrastructure™ in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2012 were US$3.3 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and in social media.
CONTACT: Media Contact Information: MALCOLM HALLSWORTH + 44 1737 856594 P +44 7920 701764 M HallsworthM@BV.com 24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE +1 866 496 9149
Source:Black & Veatch Holding Company