SAN DIEGO, June 28, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- July is National Picnic Month, so chances are good that you're heading to get-togethers that feature the traditionally tempting, yet unhealthy-to-eat picnic favorites like potato or pasta salad, chips and sodas. So what are some delicious, healthy alternatives?
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=19624.
Healthyroads, Inc. – the award-winning wellness subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated – encourages everyone to enjoy summer picnics with these healthy suggestions:
- Bring a healthier dish. Take along quinoa salad or veggies and fat-free dip. This will give you something to fill up on other than the typical mayonnaise-heavy picnic foods like potato and pasta salads.
- Choose refreshing, low calorie drinks. Being out in the sun, you'll want to make sure to drink plenty of water. If water is too bland for you, try unsweetened iced tea or water with lemon and lime wedges.
- Bring lower fat desserts. Why not offer watermelon or fresh berries as a tasty end to your picnic? The natural sweetness of fruit makes it a healthy and delicious dessert option.
- Try for moderation. The "all or nothing" approach rarely works. If you'd like dessert like a brownie or cookie, have one – just make it a small portion and savor it.
- Be active. Make the most of your outdoor time! Plan a group game, like badminton, bean bag toss or lawn darts. Or go for a group walk.
With these tips, you can enjoy your picnic without worrying about whether you're eating too many unhealthy treats. Check out more helpful picnic tips on the Healthyroads Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Healthyroads or on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/healthyroads/.
About Healthyroads, Inc.
Healthyroads, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH), offers a wide range of population health solutions, including: the award-winning Healthyroads® telephone-based lifestyle and health coaching programs, member engagement promotion programs, program management, health risk assessments, biometric screenings, claims analytics, risk stratification, outreach, incentive management programs, competitive group challenges, worksite wellness programs and/or an integrated online wellness portal, Healthyroads.com. Healthyroads offers these programs to more than 5.7 million members nationally. For more information about Healthyroads programs, visit ASHCompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on Twitter at @Healthyroads, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Healthyroads, on Instagram @Healthyroads, on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/healthyroads/ and on YouTube at www.youtube.com/healthyroads.
About American Specialty Health
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is a national health services organization that provides fitness and exercise programs, population health solutions and specialty health care programs for health plans, insurance carriers, employer groups and trust funds. Headquartered in San Diego, CA, with offices in Dallas, TX, Indianapolis, IN, and Columbia, SC, ASH has more than 1,000 employees and administers services for more than 32 million members nationwide. Additional products offered through ASH and its subsidiaries include Healthyroads®, FitnessCoach™, Active&Fit®, ExerciseRewardsTM and others. For more information about ASH, visit www.ASHCompanies.com or call 800-848-3555. Follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter at @ASHCompanies.
CONTACT: Lisa Freeman 800-848-3555, ext. 3722 Direct: 310-390-3070 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source:American Specialty Health