SAO PAULO, Brazil, Aug. 6, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (ABTA 2013, Booth #D13) -- Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, announced today its EN71xy family of high-performance set-top box system-on-a-chip (STB SoC) solutions address the key functionality and cost requirements of Latin America operators as they transition from Standard Definition (SD) to High Definition (HD).
IHS Research forecasts total Pay-TV HD STB shipments in Latin America will increase from approximately 6.5 million units in 2013 to 17.7 million units in 2016, driven in part by major regional events including the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics.
In production today and already designed-in to multiple OEM products for key cable and satellite operators, the Entropic EN71xy STB SoC product-line builds upon proven solutions for DTAs (digital transport adapters), cable and terrestrial zappers, and IP-Clients. The family leverages the industry-standard ARM® architecture plus proven software and conditional access system (CAS) support to reduce time-to-market.
"Operators in Latin America are demanding high-quality, cost-effective HD STBs to ensure subscribers have secure and immediate access to compelling entertainment services," said Roger Gregory, vice president, Marketing, Entropic. "The EN71xy family forms the basis for integrated, feature-rich, and flexible HD zapper and IP-Client solutions that leverage mature software and security expertise to enable faster deployments with greater operator confidence."
Key feature/benefits of the EN71xy platform include:
- Advanced Multicore Processing: The EN71xy uses the ARM Cortex™ processor with 2500 DMIPS to deliver higher performance, lower power and greater scalability.
- Field-proven Video Decoder Technology: Entropic ensures compatibility with new and legacy TVs both in SD and HD, by offering integrated HDMI (up to 1080p60), component video, CVBS, and Channel ¾ outputs.
- Integrated Demodulators and DDR3 Memory Support: A highly-integrated solution, the EN71xy minimizes the external Bill of Materials (BoM), which translates to lower overall STB costs.
- Enhanced Software Capabilities: As a field-proven SoC, the EN71xy software supports leading CAS vendors, reduces debug and qualification cycle times, and enables faster time-to-market.
- Flexible Network Interfaces: The EN71xy features 10/100 Ethernet, rGMII, and USB ports to enable high flexibility with support for MoCA®, WiFi®, and PVR functionality.
Entropic's EN71xy devices are in production today and will be demonstrated at Entropic's booth (D13) at ABTA in Sao Paulo. The EN71xy family includes the:
- EN7100 and EN7120 for HD-DTA solutions;
- EN7158 for the cable HD zapper solutions;
- EN7160 for satellite STBs; and
- EN7190 for hybrid and IP-Client solutions.
Entropic™ (Nasdaq:ENTR) is a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home. The Company transforms how traditional HDTV broadcast and IP-based streaming video content is seamlessly, reliably, and securely delivered, processed, and distributed into and throughout the home. Entropic's next-generation Set-top Box (STB) System-on-a-Chip (SoC) and Connectivity solutions enable Pay-TV operators to offer consumers more captivating whole-home entertainment experiences by transforming the way digital entertainment is delivered, connected and consumed – in the home and on the go. For more information, visit Entropic at: www.entropic.com.
The Entropic logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=4255
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements." Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the expected benefits of Entropic's technology solutions, and continued or future integration of technology into products of OEMs. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to risks related to product development, risks related to new product introductions and customer acceptance of new products; Entropic's dependence on a limited number of customers; the effects of competition from alternative technologies; Entropic's dependence on service providers' connected home needs and requirements; the risk that the market for Entropic's solutions may not develop as anticipated; the effect of intellectual property rights claims; and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Annual Report on Form 10-Q for the year ended March 31, 2013. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright © 2013 Entropic. All rights reserved. All other product or company names mentioned are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.