CHICAGO, Aug. 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Online news site Newser (http://www.newser.com) announced today that it has added an app for Windows 8 to its suite of apps. The Newser app is available for free download now from the Windows Store.
Newser CEO Patrick Spain said, "Our mission is to make it quick and easy to keep up with the news, and we're thrilled to add yet another elegant way in which our readers can do just that. Our new Windows 8 app is simple to use and beautiful to look at."
John Richards, senior director of Windows App Marketing for Microsoft Corp., said, "Newser's highly visual presentation and two-paragraph stories make it a great fit for Windows 8 devices. The app's use of features such as live tiles and the Share charm helps enable Windows 8 users to stay up-to-date and engaged with the news they care about."
Features of the Newser Windows Store app include:
- Live tiles: Users can resize the Newser tile to one of two sizes. The app updates and displays in the live tile the number of unread stories, as well as the headline of the most recent story if the tile is sized appropriately.
- Superlatives: App users can vote to label stories as "most brilliant" or "most intriguing" (among other options), with category leaders appearing in a dedicated panel on the hub page.
- Stories I've read: For convenience, the Newser app can shade stories the user has already viewed.
- Highly visual presentation: The app provides a graphical quick view of current headlines, alternate views of the news (by date, popularity, section, breaking, etc.) and media galleries.
- Social sharing: Via the Share charm, the app uses whatever sharing tools are installed on the device.
Newser, LLC (http://www.newser.com), upends the way news is delivered and consumed, making it simple to know more in less time -- on your desktop, phone or tablet. Newser's stories are presented in a one-of-a-kind "visual news grid" that features only the day's most important and most arresting stories, hand-picked by its editors and written in a short, pithy format.
CONTACT: Jani Spede 866-923-9980 firstname.lastname@example.org