BRANDON, S.D., Aug. 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spartan ERV, a subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPAR), announced today the availability of its MPA (Multi-Function Pumper / Aerial) 65', a new emergency-response apparatus that redefines the price/performance equation for best value. The MPA 65' is the first of its kind to meet the diverse requirements of the Fire Chief, the Fleet Manager AND the Finance Manager. The MPA 65' will be featured at Fire Rescue International (FRI) 2013, August 16 – 17, in Chicago (Booth # 3624).
The MPA 65' is another ground-breaking product of the Spartan/Gimaex Joint Venture established in 2012 and combines the best technologies of Europe and North America. Spartan ERV offers the MPA 65' at a price point that truly provides more apparatus for less investment. It combines the functions of a pumper, an aerial and a rescue unit, with a base price starting at $350,000. Pricing for the MPA 65' built on a custom chassis starts at $425,000.
The ladder roller system of the MPA 65' reduces maintenance downtime by eliminating the need to grease ladder sections. The ladder also features an automatic leveling system that simplifies setup and continuously adjusts itself for optimal performance, enhancing firefighter safety.
Previewed earlier this year during the Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC) in Indianapolis, Ind., the MPA 65' has undergone additional development since April. Numerous refinements were made based on customer input and feedback received at FDIC, in addition to further rigorous testing and certifications.
The MPA 65' meets the needs of fire departments in rural areas; as the enhanced value equation presents the option to purchase a pumper and get an aerial for no additional cost. In the U.S., there are over 24,000 fire departments that do not have an aerial device, primarily due to cost. The MPA 65' is truly a breakthrough product that is ideally suited for today's price-sensitive marketplace.
This multifunctional apparatus encompasses all the features of a QUINT.
Technology for the Firefighter (Fire Chief)
- Automatic Ladder Leveling: The automatic ladder-leveling system simplifies set-up, continuously adjusts for optimal performance and enhances firefighter safety. This system allows the truck to be stabilized on uneven terrain with one set of downriggers while the ladder automatically levels itself, giving the firefighter more time to focus on the task at hand.
- Multi-Axis Aerial Controls: The multi-axis aerial controls are integrated with a dynamic graphical display during aerial operation.
- Stabilizer Controls: The MPA 65' utilizes an A-frame stabilizer system that allows for a narrow stabilizing footprint of 12' 10", making set-up possible in very tight situations. The stabilizers are easily set-up and retracted using single button operation. Reduced componentry and maintenance are made possible through a two-cylinder stabilizer design.
- Automatic Aerial Stowing: The automatic aerial stow feature safely and accurately stows the aerial for transport.
- Elevated Waterway: With the ability to carry up to 500 gallons of water, the MPA 65' features a 1,250 gallon per minute pump in addition to the 1,000 gallon per minute telescopic aerial waterway.
- Advanced Protection System (APS): The #1 cab safety system. APS includes eight airbags, advanced seat belts and outboard sensors which, taken together, provide best-in-class protection against frontal impact, rollover, side impact and occupant ejection.
- Cab/Chassis Configurations: Multiple configurations allow for maximum versatility in using the Spartan Chassis within your fleet. This flexibility ensures the end user can standardize their fleet and meet all of the needs with one chassis manufacturer.
- Single Axle Aerial: The single axle configuration provides enhanced maneuverability and reduced weight of the apparatus while maintaining all required functions.
Reduced Fleet Maintenance (Fleet Manager)
- Spartan Chassis Maintenance Training: The end user is provided complete understanding of the vehicle which allows for reduced out-of-service and lower cost of maintenance.
- Non-Proprietary Chassis Parts: Allows for quick replacement of needed components at a fair and reasonable market price. Available on the open market and easy to find; parts for a Spartan Chassis reduce out-of-service time.
- Two Year Warranty: Providing a bumper-to-bumper warranty allows the department to protect their investment and reduce operating costs.
- Plumbing, Aerial, Body Warranties: 10 year warranties for the plumbing, the ladder and the body ensures your apparatus will be safe for years to come.
- Ladder Roller System: The ladder roller system eliminates the need to grease the ladder sections and minimizes maintenance and downtime. The greaseless system also reduces friction and stress on the ladder during operation increasing the life and performance of the ladder section.
- A-Frame Stabilizer System: Reduced componentry and maintenance are achieved using two cylinders as opposed to the standard four.
- Remote Diagnostics: Built-in long distance diagnostics, consisting of dedicated software and a modem device to communicate apparatus performance to an authorized technician anywhere in the world.
- Single Axle: The single axle configuration provides enhanced maneuverability and reduced weight of the apparatus while maintaining all required functions.
More Apparatus for Less (Financial Manager)
- QUINT Configuration: The MPA 65' is defined as a QUINT per the NFPA standard which includes: (i) a pump (500 gallons per minute), (ii) tank (300 gallons of water), (iii) fire hose (combination of crosslay & large diameter), (iv) an aerial device (more than 50'), (v) ground ladders (86' or more).
- NFPA Compliant: Meets NFPA requirements for 1901 certification. Storage of pike poles and up to 115' of ground ladders in rear ladder storage compartment.
- ISO Rating: When comparing total cost of the unit, the MPA 65' provides one of the highest ISO ratings.
- Advanced Protection System (APS): Provides for firefighter safety - reducing any potential for lost-time injuries, costs of significant injuries or deaths. Note: The APS system is only available on custom chassis.
- 65' Three-Section Ladder: A product of the Spartan/Gimaex Joint Venture, the MPA 65' offers a three-section ladder on a single axle chassis, that includes the latest aerial technologies. The overall travel height of 10' 6" provides clearance in older stations and bridges.
- LED Lighting and Ground Lighting: All lighting on the MPA 65' is LED. Horizontal LED lighting installed and protected in the upper compartment overlay, illuminates the surface area around the truck and requires less current draw. Vertical LED lighting is installed in each compartment for better illumination and less current draw.
- Compartment Storage: The MPA 65' offers 400 cubic feet of compartment space with the ability to add a variety of custom storage and mounting accessories. A raw finish is made possible through a non-welded aluminum body construction. The use of fasteners and bonding agents provide stronger joints and allow the channels that exist within the joints to secure appliances, equipment, shelving and trays, within the compartments.
The MPA 65' aligns with Spartan's D.R.I.V.E. initiative, as it redefines technology and innovation. The apparatus is an example of developing exciting products that exceed the expectations of our customers. Additionally, it reaffirms Spartan's strength within the emergency response industry.
About Spartan ERV
Spartan ERV™ is a leading manufacturer of custom fire trucks and other rescue vehicles. A business unit of Spartan Motors, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPAR), Spartan ERV™ is committed to quality, performance and innovation. Drawing on more than 130 years of excellence in fire truck manufacturing, Spartan ERV™ manufactures a full line of pumpers, tankers, rescues, aerials, quick-attack/urban interface vehicles and other emergency-rescue vehicles from its facilities in Florida, Pennsylvania and South Dakota. For more information, visit www.spartanerv.com.
About Spartan Motors
Spartan Motors, Inc. designs, engineers and manufactures specialty chassis, specialty vehicles, truck bodies and aftermarket parts for the recreational vehicle (RV), emergency response, government services, defense, and delivery and service markets. The Company's brand names – Spartan™, Spartan Chassis™, Spartan ER™, Spartan ERV™ and Utilimaster® - are known for quality, performance, service and first-to-market innovation. The Company employs approximately 1,800 associates at facilities in Michigan, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Indiana, and Florida. Spartan reported sales of $471 million in 2012 and is focused on becoming a global leader in the design, engineering and manufacture of specialty vehicles and chassis. Visit Spartan Motors at www.spartanmotors.com.
This release contains several forward-looking statements that are not historical facts, including statements concerning our business, strategic position, financial strength, future plans, objectives, and the performance of our products. These statements can be identified by words such as "believe," "expect," "intend," "potential," "future," "may," "will," "should," and similar expressions regarding future expectations. These forward-looking statements involve various known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and assumptions that are difficult to predict with regard to timing, extent, and likelihood. Therefore, actual performance and results may materially differ from what may be expressed or forecasted in such forward-looking statements. Factors that could contribute to these differences include operational and other complications that may arise affecting the implementation of our plans and business objectives; continued pressures caused by economic conditions and the pace and extent of the economic recovery; challenges that may arise in connection with the integration of new businesses or assets we acquire or the disposition of assets; issues unique to government contracting, such as competitive bidding processes, qualification requirements, and delays or changes in funding; disruptions within our dealer network; changes in our relationships with major customers, suppliers, or other business partners, including Isuzu; changes in the demand or supply of products within our markets or raw materials needed to manufacture those products; and changes in laws and regulations affecting our business. Other factors that could affect outcomes are set forth in our Annual Report on Form 10-K and other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which are available at www.sec.gov or our website. All forward-looking statements in this release are qualified by this paragraph. Investors should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements as a prediction of actual results. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements in this release, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
CONTACT: Russell T. Chick Corporate Director of Marketing Spartan Motors, Inc. 517.997.3852Source:Spartan Motors, Inc.