General Electric recalled 92,000 combination wall and microwave ovens after at least 35 incidents of fire that damaged property, the company and the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday.
The door switch in the microwave oven can overheat and ignite plastic components in the appliance, the company said.
The lower thermal oven does not pose a hazard and no injuries have been reported, according to the commission.
Department and appliance stores sold the ovens between January 2000 to December 2003.
The ovens were built by GE Consumer & Industrial, of Louisville, Ky., and sold under the Kenmore, GE and GE Profile brands.
GE said consumers should stop using the microwave oven immediately and call the company, or Sears for Kenmore ovens.
General Electric is offering a free repair or rebate on a new product, a $300 rebate toward the purchase of a new GE brand unit, or a $600 rebate toward the purchase of a new GE Profile brand unit. Sears is offering a free repair or $300 rebate toward the purchase of a new Kenmore brand unit.
GE is the parent of CNBC and CNBC.com.