Every year, when I see the the Deloitte study of what Gen Y (avg. age 23) car buyers want or don't want, I'm always curious if my view is out of whack with those 15 or 20 years younger than me.
In the past, they've generally been in line.
Now comes this year's study.
Deloitte surveyedmore than a thousand car buyers and the findings and comments from Deloitte are quite a mix and even a little baffling.
Among the highlights:
- Gen Y car buyers are as likely to buy a domestic car as they are to buy a foreign brand
- They are loyal to a brand, until they have a bad experience
- 57% want to work with dealers via the Internet instead of face to face
- 82% want to test drive a car for 24 hours
- This year, in-car technology is a top reason driving their decision about what car or truck to buy
Digging deeper into the survey are even more surprising results:
Top 3 Features When Choosing a Car - take a look at what's changed for this age group:
- 2009: 1.) Gas mileage 2.) Affordability/Price 3.) Exterior styling/Looks
- 2010: 1.) Vehicle quality 2.) Trustworthiness 3.) Safety