×

Strauss-Kahn Case May Be Dropped This Week

Charges against former head of the International Monetary Fund Dominique Strauss-Kahn may be dropped altogether this week in New York.

IMF Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn
IMF Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn

CNBC reported over the weekend that attorneys for hotel maid Nafissatou Diallo have speculated that a meeting scheduled for Monday is to inform them that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance plans to drop some or all of the charges against Strauss-Kahn.

Multiple news reports on Monday, including one in the Wall Street Journal, indicated that the charges could be dropped on Tuesday.

An attorney for the woman confirmed to CNBC that Diallo and her attorneys have been asked to meet with prosecutors on Monday to let them know what will happen at a court proceeding on Tuesday.

Whatever the purpose of Monday's meeting between prosecutors and the hotel maid who accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault, it is apparently not to inform her of a plea bargain with the former IMF head.

"There is no plea deal of any kind, whatsoever," a spokeswoman for defense attorneys Benjamin Brafman and William Taylor said in response to a question from CNBC.

Asked whether a guilty plea or a conviction on anything less than all seven counts would be acceptable to Diallo, attorney Douglas Wigdor said in an e-mail to CNBC, "I don't care for hypotheticals. If it were on the table I don't know what her reaction would be as she has always said she wants her day in court."

A spokeswoman for Vance declined to comment on the latest developments.

The hearing now scheduled for Tuesday had been postponed twice after prosecutors said they needed more time to investigate.

Strauss-Kahn, once the leading contender for the presidency of France, was arrested in May for allegedly assaulting Diallo in his New York hotel suite. His attorneys have suggested the encounter was consensual.

He was released from house arrest in July—but still barred from leaving the U.S.—after prosecutors said they found issues with Diallo's credibility, including that she lied on an asylum application about being gang raped in her native Guinea.

Since then, her attorneys have waged an aggressive campaign to urge Vance to pursue the case, including having Diallo, 32, go public earlier this summer.

Earlier this month, Diallo's attorneys filed a civil suit against Strauss-Kahn seeking unspecified damages.