Nordstrom is the first in its space to get rid of its minimum purchase requirement and offer the free perk. The retailer said it wants to provide a more compelling online shopping experience.
Wall Street Strategies Equity Research Strategist Brian Sozzi believes Nordstrom's decision could start a trend.
"It always seems once one company comes out with a headline grabbing program others will follow suit. I mean, at the end of the day, we are talking a few bucks to a luxury consumer. I think product selection and product availability more determining in getting the final sale between a Bloomies and Nordstrom," said Sozzi. "I wouldn't be surprised to see Bloomies respond."
At the moment, a Macy's spokesperson says there are no plans for Macy's or Bloomingdale's to change its shipping policy.
Here are how some of Nordstrom's competitors' shipping policies stack up:
- Macy's charges free shipping on purchases of $99 or more and $8 for orders that cost less than $99.
- Bloomingdale's requires customers to spend at least $300 to receive free shipping.
- Lord & Taylor's standard delivery fees range from $5.95 to $24.95.
- Saks Fifth Avenue charges between $5 and $20 for standard shipping.
- Neiman Marcus' standard shipping fees range from $6 to $32.
**The list does not take into account any free shipping, seasonal promotions.
Stephanie is Squawk Box producer. Follow her on twitter @StephLandsman
Questions? Comments? Email us atNetNet@cnbc.com
Follow NetNet on Twitter @ twitter.com/CNBCnetnet
Facebook us @ www.facebook.com/NetNetCNBC