The city is launching the pilot program in all five boroughs. Currently, there are 10 hotspots, but more are planned to be added.
The Wi-Fi signal could reach up to 200 feet around the pay phone and allow unlimited bandwidth and usage.
New York City already offers free Wi-Fi in libraries and in more than 40 parks.
Below are the current locations of hot spots that have already launched. Wi-Fi hot spots in the Bronx and in Stanten Island will launch soon.
- Brooklyn Heights-Cobble Hill: 545 Albee Square and 2 Smith Street
- Astoria: 30-94 Steinway Street
- SoHo: 402 West Broadway
- Fur-Flower District: 458 Seventh Avenue
- Theater District-Clinton: 28 West 48th Street
- Grand Central-United Nations: 410 Madison Avenue
- Midtown-Clinton: 1609 Broadway and 1790 Broadway
- Upper West Side: 230 West 95th Street
And you thought you would never use a pay phone again...