Delta to Raise Most Lounge Rates by $50 for Individual Travelers
Those drinks, snacks and Wi-Fi will soon cost more at Delta Air Lines' airport lounges as the carrier will raise rates for many members beginning March 1.
Delta announced the price increases Tuesday on the popular frequent-flier forum Flyertalk.com. Most individual annual member rates will increase $50 a year, depending on your elite status with Delta. Joint annual memberships for yourself and a partner will increase $100 annually for most.
Airlines are upgrading their airport lounges to maintain a competitive edge and deliver amenities business travelers demand, such as ample power outlets and work areas. (Read more: United Unveils New Lounge, Plans More Remodeling)
"Over the last two years, we've invested more than $20 million in Delta Sky Clubs," said a Delta spokesman on Flyertalk.com. "This includes opening new clubs and renovating existing clubs, removing conference rooms to provide more seating, introducing the Luxury Bar and, of course, the recently announced Sky Decks that will open in Atlanta and JFK later this year."
Annual membership prices are as follows, though you can use miles as payment toward the memberships:
- General member (non-elite) prices remain unchanged for an individual membership at $450, but joint membership rates rise to $700 from $650.
- Silver Medallion (25,000 miles flown annually) prices rise to $450 from $400 for individuals and to $700 from $600 for joint memberships.
- Gold Medallion (50,000 miles flown annually) prices rise to $400 from $350 for individuals and to $650 from $550 for joint memberships.
- Platinum Medallion (75,000 miles flown annually) prices rise to $350 from $300 for individuals and to $600 from $500 for joint memberships.
- Diamond Medallion (125,000 miles flown annually) prices rise to $350 from $300 for individuals and to $600 from $500 for joint memberships. Individual one-year Delta Sky Club membership is complimentary for Diamond Medallion members. However, if you will not re-qualify for Diamond Medallion status, you may purchase a Delta Sky Club membership at this discounted rate before your Diamond status ends.
Delta also allows redemption of frequent-flier miles for lounge membership and those rates will remain unchanged, ranging from 40,000 miles to 100,000 miles depending on your elite status and membership type.
As a comparison, American charges fliers $350 to $500 for an individual, annual lounge membership. United's lounge rates range from $400 to $500 per person, having just increased their membership rates January 1. (Read more: United's Annual Lounge Rates to Increase by $25 for Individuals)
For more information on Delta's changes, click here.