Oops! Scotch Whisky Accidentally Flushed Down Drain
What a waste.
Workers at Chivas Brothers plant in Scotland have accidentally flushed thousands of gallons of the company's whisky, instead of its wastewater, down the drain.
The accident happened Tuesday at the Chivas Brothers plant in Dumbarton, Scotland, where about 600 workers are employed. A spokesman told NBCNews.com that the company produces multiple brands of whisky at the site.
The company said the amount of whisky spilled was less than the approximately 5,000 gallons reported earlier in other media, but it declined to give exact figures.
Chivas Brothers is a major producer of whisky whose brands include Chivas Regal, Ballantine's and The Glenlivet.
The whisky was released into a wastewater plant and didn't make it into any surrounding waterways, the spokesman said. He declined to provide his name, citing company policy.
The plant is back up and running, but the company is reviewing its procedures to make sure nothing like this happens again.
Oh, and the company assured NBCNews.com that there would be no shortage of the "water of life" as a result.