Shopify is an ecommerce platform that allows individuals and businesses to create online stores. Shopify was founded by two snowboarding enthusiasts who wanted to create a better way to sell their snowboards.
The way people buy and sell, and structure retail enterprises, eliminating the barriers to entry in the brick-and-mortar world.
Headquarters: Ottawa, ON, Canada
CEO: Tobias Lütke, Co-Founder and CEO of Shopify
Year Founded: 2006
Number of Employees: 206 (260 projected full year 2013)
Funding: Shopify has raised $22 million.
Key Investors: Bessemer Venture Partners, Felicis Ventures, Georgian Partners, and FirstMark Capital
- 2009 stores numbered 6,656; projected total 2013 stores-80,000
- Gross merchandise 2008: $59 million/gross merchandise 2013: $1.5 billion (projected full year)
- Expects to reach $8 billion in gross merchandise in 2015
- Profitable since 2008
- Clients include Budweiser, Tesla Motors, the Beastie Boys, Kobe Bryant, Pebble, 50 Cent and Donnie and Marie Osmond
- Must be able to draw an owl to be hired by company