Open-source drone technology design, engineering and manufacturing company.
The traditional aerial vehicle design and manufacturing process.
Headquarters: San Diego, Calif.
CEO: Chris Anderson
Year Founded: 2009
Number of Employees: 70
Funding: $5 million
Key Investors: True Ventures and O'Reilly AlphaTech Ventures
- Manufactures ready-to-use drones in Tijuana, Mexico
- Can buy a drone from their online store for as low as $400 (udrones.com)
- Manufacturing arm of the DIY Drones community (diydrones.com)
- In 2012, sales exceeded $5 million; on pace to double in 2013
- Co-founder Jordi Muñoz made first drone at age of 20 splicing Nintendo Wii wires with mini copter
- First 40 drone kits were sold at $40 in 2009 and sold out on day one
- Has now sold 30,000 units
- Worldwide drone spending expected to reach into tens of billions of dollars
- Early adopters include agriculture, search and rescue, construction and wildlife management